Not healing fully?

rosebloom63

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone!
I have a concern about my axie, Afish. She is grown to full size, but she never seemed to heal like other axolotls. For example, when I got her as a baby, she was missing one toe, and she still is. I feel like this is unusual. She has a few mostly healed injuries, but my big concern is her gills. While I was traveling, I was not changing the water in her travel tank nearly as often as I should have and she lost some fronds from the tip of one of her gills. She breathes fine, but they haven't grown back at all! Of course I feel awful because I should've been paying more attention, but she doesn't seem to be overly bothered. Any advice?

Do you have a pic of Afish? Did you notice shortened limbs? Inability to regenerate properly is often a symptom of Short Toe Syndrome.

her limbs seem to be of reasonable and functional length. her tail fin is a bit raggedy and her tail is healed, but doesn't look like it used to. she's my little goober though!

Attachments

• IMG_20200622_205637.jpg
    IMG_20200622_205637.jpg
    795.2 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_20200701_192428.jpg
    IMG_20200701_192428.jpg
    640.3 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_20200717_074758.jpg
    IMG_20200717_074758.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 94
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back