All larvae died

QueenOfPigeons

Reaction score
Country
United States
These babies were born after 5 days of being laid. And I did daily water changes and started feeding them twice daily after 48 hours of them being alive. I fed them this morning and went to school and when I got back 4 hours later they were all dead.

I'm sorry to hear that! 5 days seems awful quick for axolotl eggs to hatch (normally it would be 12-20 days after laying).It's possible it was a problem with your water, but I would say development issues are more likely given how quick their gestation was. They don't look particularly underdeveloped in your photo, but that doesn't necessarily mean there wasn't a genetic problem. What were you feeding them? Were you dechlorinating the water when changing it?

I'm sorry to hear that! 5 days seems awful quick for axolotl eggs to hatch (normally it would be 12-20 days after laying).It's possible it was a problem with your water, but I would say development issues are more likely given how quick their gestation was. They don't look particularly underdeveloped in your photo, but that doesn't necessarily mean there wasn't a genetic problem. What were you feeding them? Were you dechlorinating the water when changing it?
I fed them live brine shrimp. After researching more it seems that it was because of the salt from the brine shrimp. My brine shrimp came in packets and I had no idea there was salt in them. All the videos I had watched showed hatching the brine shrimp and feeding it directly to the babies. I had no clue people washed them before hand. I have the right stuff for it now so the rest of the eggs won’t have the same fate.

I fed them live brine shrimp. After researching more it seems that it was because of the salt from the brine shrimp. My brine shrimp came in packets and I had no idea there was salt in them. All the videos I had watched showed hatching the brine shrimp and feeding it directly to the babies. I had no clue people washed them before hand. I have the right stuff for it now so the rest of the eggs won’t have the same fate.
I had the same problem about 15 years ago. It’s the salt and osmosis basically causing them to explode due to the concentration gradient.

It’s all a learning experience so don’t get too disheartened. I avoid brine shrimp like the plague for newly hatched eggs I use either daphnia, Walter worms, Microworms, and banana worms

I had the same problem about 15 years ago. It’s the salt and osmosis basically causing them to explode due to the concentration gradient.

It’s all a learning experience so don’t get too disheartened. I avoid brine shrimp like the plague for newly hatched eggs I use either daphnia, Walter worms, Microworms, and banana worms
I only use baby brine shrimp that I hatch myself. But I rinse them off in fresh water first

I only use baby brine shrimp that I hatch myself. But I rinse them off in fresh water first.
I am having the same basic issues. The eggs hatch normally, and I start with the brine shrimp that I raise myself. I rinse them well before feeding twice daily. 2x daily water change daily and bubblers in the tubs. After about 2 weeks on brine shrimp (when they are a bit bigger) I start daphnia. They thrive for the 1st week or so and then 5-6 dead, so I panic and start adding brine shrimp again. within a week or 2, they are all dead. It's frustrating and heartbreaking. I have managed to raise 3 to adulthood. I am determined to make this work. I worry that to start them on Daphnia right from the beginning they won't eat them due to size of the larvae. Am I wrong? I have researched and read everything I can. Any help is appreciated.

I am having the same basic issues. The eggs hatch normally, and I start with the brine shrimp that I raise myself. I rinse them well before feeding twice daily. 2x daily water change daily and bubblers in the tubs. After about 2 weeks on brine shrimp (when they are a bit bigger) I start daphnia. They thrive for the 1st week or so and then 5-6 dead, so I panic and start adding brine shrimp again. within a week or 2, they are all dead. It's frustrating and heartbreaking. I have managed to raise 3 to adulthood. I am determined to make this work. I worry that to start them on Daphnia right from the beginning they won't eat them due to size of the larvae. Am I wrong? I have researched and read everything I can. Any help is appreciated.
Do you notice their bellies are orange? Can you see they have eaten? Are you changing the water for fresh water. What are the symptoms before they die? Do you keep them in open top tubs, where the water could be come contaminated by anything?

Do you notice their bellies are orange? Can you see they have eaten? Are you changing the water for fresh water. What are the symptoms before they die? Do you keep them in open top tubs, where the water could be come contaminated by anything?
Yes, bellies are orange. They are eating well. I am changing the water twice daily with declorinated water. I am putting lids on the tubs with a stone bubbler.
The only symptoms are they seems to curl up or start floating upside down. They die with their bellies full.
Thanks for the questions. I wonder if I am not rinsing the BBS well enough and it finally catches up with them? My understanding is the fresh water will kill the BBS if exposed too long.
Of about 150 eggs this time, I have 3 babies left. Super healthy front and back legs.

Yes, bellies are orange. They are eating well. I am changing the water twice daily with declorinated water. I am putting lids on the tubs with a stone bubbler.
The only symptoms are they seems to curl up or start floating upside down. They die with their bellies full.
Thanks for the questions. I wonder if I am not rinsing the BBS well enough and it finally catches up with them? My understanding is the fresh water will kill the BBS if exposed too long.
Of about 150 eggs this time, I have 3 babies left. Super healthy front and back legs.
Where is the water from? Sometimes i dechlorinate tap water and they still act like theres something wrong. I have been using cold boiled water with less problems. I don't think it needs changing twice daily. Maybe every 2 or 3 days.

Where is the water from? Sometimes i dechlorinate tap water and they still act like theres something wrong. I have been using cold boiled water with less problems. I don't think it needs changing twice daily. Maybe every 2 or 3 days.
I will keep that in mind. Thank you. I do use declorinated water. It sits for days in 5 gal buckets but it is already declorinated.

I will keep that in mind. Thank you. I do use declorinated water. It sits for days in 5 gal buckets but it is already declorinated.
How can I feed them BBS 2x daily and change the water 2x daily? Am I feeding too much?

Sorry, NOT change the water 2x daily.
I find the bbs doesn't die straight away. So I leave it in, usually it all gets eaten that day or the next and I change the water then

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back