Any way to determine the age of an axolotl?

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Ive had a female axolotl for almost 10 years. I got her at the same size as then, only now she is thinner and toes on her front legs are gone.
The other owner I bought her from, had her for over 5 years according to himself, and he got her as an adult.

Now I really would like to put a official age on my girl named "Bumsan". Is it possible? Would be so rewarding.

Her eyes turned kind of white several years ago for some reason. And nowadays, I need to feed her really small portions of anything, because
food gets stuck in her throat. And she is hard to feed pellets..she only want worms: )

Last edited:
IMG_2904.JPG

She often lays on top of the plastic plants in my aquarium, just beneath the surface. And when speaking to her, (doing vibrational sounds with my lips etc.), she puts her head above the water and just "looks". Could be freaky sure, but never to me: ) I then gently blows air on her and introducing her to another element: )

She gave birth once. And that was only weeks after I bought a male salamander. However the offsprings often took bites at each other and at anything else moving.
That wasnt a problem for any of the other axolotls. But she never grew any new limbs on her front feet.

Last edited:
Dosent Guiness World Records assist economally sometimes? Ask them if they would consider DNA test or something?
Surely its possible to scientifically date all sorts of animals that are living right?
Became more of an axlotl-biography now..well well.

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back