Appalachian salamander habitats. (long)

TristanClark

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Tristan Clark
This is for all you fellow herpers that need an example of different habitats to go by...

herphunter1998-albums-herping-picture30818-eurycea-longicauda-found-under-smaller-log.jpg

I found a eurycea longicauda under the smaller log.

herphunter1998-albums-herping-picture30815-plethodon-cinereus-plethodon-glutinosus-habitat.jpg

plethodon cinereus and plethodon glutinosus habitat

herphunter1998-albums-herping-picture30804-eurycea-longicauda-desmognathus-habitat.jpg

Same area as the first pic. I have found eurycea longicauda and patternless desmognathus here.

herphunter1998-albums-herping-picture30803-spring-salamander-habitat.jpg

Northern spring salamander and northern dusky salamander habitat.

herphunter1998-albums-herping-picture30800-va-spring.jpg

The head of the spring in the previous pic.

herphunter1998-albums-herping-picture30802-ruber-spring.jpg

This spring doesn't look like the typical place you'd find salamanders, however it is home to pseudotriton ruber schencki and desmognathus monticola.

herphunter1998-albums-herping-picture30806-pygmy-salamander-habitat-scott-county-va.jpg

Desmognathus wrighty habitat.

herphunter1998-albums-herping-picture29626-muddy-spring.jpg

This is where a large adult pseudotriton montanus got away from me.

herphunter1998-albums-herping-picture30807-d-quadramaculatus-habitat-unaka-mountain.jpg

Desmognathus quadramaculatus habitat, sorry for the blurry picture.

herphunter1998-albums-herping-picture30808-d-quadramaculatus-habitat-buffalo-mountain.jpg

Desmognathus quadramaculatus and desmognathus monticola habitat.

herphunter1998-albums-stuff-picture30736-ruber-habitat.jpg

Desmognathus conanti and pseudotriton ruber ruber habitat. by the way this is a spring.

herphunter1998-albums-herping-picture29609-home-eurycea-cirrigera-several-desmognathus-species-i-have-heard-cave-salamanders-here-just-not-exact-spot.jpg

Desmognathus ochrophaeus and eurycea cirrigera habitat. Plethodon richmondi and plethodon glutinosus is also on land in the surrounding forest.

herphunter1998-albums-herping-picture29616-pseudotriton-ruber-habitat.jpg

D. conanti and p. ruber ruber habitat downstream

herphunter1998-albums-herping-picture30805-p-ruber-desmognathus-habitat.jpg

where the spring starts.

herphunter1998-albums-herping-picture29619-stream-home-several-species-desmognathus-plethodon-species-land.jpg

Desmognathus fuscus and desmognathus monticola habitat. I have found plethodon glutinosus on land and have a strong feeling there is more there.

That's it!!! I know it wasn't much but if you wanna know more just go to my album or pm me. I know alot of good spots and I just wanted to share this hoping it might help people searching for some of the species I found in the above habitats. Hope you enjoy!!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    sera: @Clareclare, +2
    Back