Question: Are these babies getting enough to eat?

GlossyGeek

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello All,

I have a few questions about what I’m currently feeding my baby axolotls. I am concerned a bit about the size of them so any opinions/suggestions are welcome.

We started off with brine shrimp from a hatchery setup and have in the last three weeks or so moved over to frozen bloodworms. I should have probably moved them to worms two month ago but was hung up on looking for blackworms.
I am mainly concerned about their size.

Should they be fatter/longer/larger than they are? Or is the size of these babies concerning to anyone?

Cannibalism is down to a minimum - I have maybe lost one since we’ve been on the worms. When I try to feed them twice a day the worms just sit in their containers and are majorly ignored. I have tried cutting up pellets or putting them in their tubs whole but they aren’t touched at all. I tried feeding the smaller ones that looked like they could use extra food but they just swim away. I also tried cutting up larger worms and those pieces are ignored as well. Is this pretty normal at this time or should I be concerned?
Also, this is my first group of hatchlings and I was wondering if anyone could assist me with guessing genetics? Mom is a melanoid axanthic and dad is a golden albino.

Thanks for your time!

Attachments

• IMG_3385.jpeg
    IMG_3385.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 568
  • IMG_3384.jpeg
    IMG_3384.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 90
  • IMG_3383.jpeg
    IMG_3383.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 93
  • IMG_3382.jpeg
    IMG_3382.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 92
  • IMG_3381.jpeg
    IMG_3381.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 91
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back