Illness/Sickness: Axolotl Attacked by Tankmate, Please Help

koeli

Reaction score
Country
Australia
1000005802.jpg

(apologies for the bad image)

I recently introduced a new axolotl into my aquarium - in hindsight I shouldn't have done that without a divider first - and my black one was attacked and had their leg ripped off and has a cut on their wrist. I have tubbed them, and I do 1-2 100% water changes every day, and I make sure to keep a fan on them at all times. Just wanted some advice, as I've never dealt with a sick axolotl before. Thank you in advance. ♡

use 50% holtfreters + 0.1g/l magnesium sulphate in the water to make sure the water chemistry is good and to reduce chances of infection.
if possible get divider fitted for tank so he/she can go in tank as regrowth will take time and can be done in tank.
even if both axolotls are similar sizes they can mistake newcomers as food/prey and attack each other, make sure they are well fed to reduce attacks.
make sure to provide a varied balance diet for optimum healing.
info holtfreters here.. Axolotls - Requirements & Water Conditions in Captivity
monitor your water parameters once second axolotl is in tank as waste production will increase putting strain on your filtration.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back