Axolotl budget

samlarsonns

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone

I'm planning to get myself this marvelous little amphibian and am wondering what is the preferable starting budget for it?
I was thinking around 500-1000$ ( even took a 500 dollar loan at moneyzap ) for the first month ( that's actually all that I have for the time being )

Last edited:
It depends a lot on how you are setting up the thing. Here is a breakdown of the cost of the new axolotl tank I am setting up

40 gallon breeder tank - $50 from Petco. They are $100 now
40 breeder stand - $100
Lighting grid from lowes, cut to size as the lid - $17
fan to keep the temps at 64F - $15
Axolotls (3) $60+$85+$85
Sand - $20 (you can get black diamond blasting sand or white pool filter sand, 50 pound bag for $10. Really easy on the budget)
Decorations (dragon stone, plants) - $50

Tell me a little bit about your setup and I can give you a more customized idea of what the pricing should be.

Some money saving and axolotl care tips that I’ve learned

I highly recommend GillyWater Aquatics. They offer free shipping and great prices on healthy, beautiful axolotls. I got a beautiful Lucy (pink) for $60 in August. He came beautiful and healthy and has grown over an inch! I ordered a second Lucy on Monday and plan to order a golden albino tonight. They should ship out next Tuesday, so I don’t have them yet.

Get sand, not gravel! Gravel can be dangerous as axolotls love to eat anything they can fit in their mouths, they’re like toddlers! Get some sand and a small feeding dish so the axolotl doesn’t get blocked up with sand from being to aggressive when he lunges for his worms. If you want pale sand, I would get pool filter sand. I used Quikrete. Got it at Lowes. If you want black sand, look for black blasting sand typically found at Tractor Supply. Huge money saver as you can get 50 pounds for $10. 50 pounds is great for a 20 gallon. Rinse your sand really well to avoid cloudiness. You can get a bowl or a five gallon bucket and do it in the lawn with a hose to avoid a mess. The bathtub works too if you don’t have grass.

Look around your local craigslist or Facebook marketplace for used tanks. You can find great deals. Petco regularly runs their tanks half off, so watch out for that! Next one should be in February though. Petco is currently running a bunch of sales, I would recommend checking out their website!

Get the right tank size, cycle your tank, and feed the right diet. These are SO important to the axolotls health. If you get a small axolotl, they can eat black worms NOT bloodworms. As it grows you can feed salmon pellets and earth worms. do you know how to cycle your tank? I am happy to explain it. For tank size, a 20 gallon long tank (30x12x12 inches) works for 1 axolotl and a 40 breeder (36x18x16 inches) works for up to 3 axolotls.

Get the right filter and keep the right temperature. Surprisingly this will help your axolotl have full gills because it isn’t stressful. The temp should be 60 to 68 F. I use a clip on desk fan blowing across the tank to accomplish this. Monitor the temp so it doesn’t drop too fast though. For the filter, I recommend sponge filters.

LIVE PLANTS. Live plants are so beautiful and help to create a healthy environment for the axolotl. They provide shelter, help with water quality, and create a beautiful slice of nature right in your home. Because axolotls can be mouthy and not all plants do well in cold water and low light, I would recommend Amazon Swords. You will want seachem root tabs for these though. These grow fast and develop sturdy root systems your axolotl will have a hard time digging up. Anubias are good too, but need to be attached to driftwood or rocks so that their base (rhizome) doesn’t rot. Hornwort and anacharis are good options but a bit fragile. Floating plants are great too. Duckweed, azolla (fairy moss), frog bit are all great choices! If you want to get amazon swords and Anubias, check out My Fish Stuff on Ebay. Great prices, large and healthy plants, free shipping. You should be able to get one of each for $15. The plants are so large it’s worth it. Mine actually came as multiple individual plants, see the picture below. That was one order of Anubias and one order of amazon sword.
80E9F60B-6F3A-4AA3-9F3A-FF2060DF2699.jpeg

It depends a lot on how you are setting up the thing. Here is a breakdown of the cost of the new axolotl tank I am setting up

40 breeder stand - $100
Axolotls (3) $60+$85+$85
Sand - $20 (you can get black diamond blasting sand or white pool filter sand, 50 pound bag for $10. Really easy on the budget)

Tell me a little bit about your setup and I can give you a more customized idea of what the pricing should be.

Some money saving and axolotl care tips that I’ve learned

I highly recommend GillyWater Aquatics. They offer free shipping and great prices on healthy, beautiful axolotls. I got a beautiful Lucy (pink) for $60 in August. He came beautiful and healthy and has grown over an inch! I ordered a second Lucy on Monday and plan to order a golden albino tonight. They should ship out next Tuesday, so I don’t have them yet.

Get sand, not gravel! Gravel can be dangerous as axolotls love to eat anything they can fit in their mouths, they’re like toddlers! Get some sand and a small feeding dish so the axolotl doesn’t get blocked up with sand from being to aggressive when he lunges for his worms. If you want pale sand, I would get pool filter sand. I used Quikrete. Got it at Lowes. If you want black sand, look for black blasting sand typically found at Tractor Supply. Huge money saver as you can get 50 pounds for $10. 50 pounds is great for a 20 gallon. Rinse your sand really well to avoid cloudiness. You can get a bowl or a five gallon bucket and do it in the lawn with a hose to avoid a mess. The bathtub works too if you don’t have grass.

Look around your local craigslist or Facebook marketplace for used tanks. You can find great deals. Petco regularly runs their tanks half off, so watch out for that! Next one should be in February though. Petco is currently running a bunch of sales, I would recommend checking out their website!

Get the right tank size, cycle your tank, and feed the right diet. These are SO important to the axolotls health. If you get a small axolotl, they can eat black worms NOT bloodworms. As it grows you can feed salmon pellets and earth worms. do you know how to cycle your tank? I am happy to explain it. For tank size, a 20 gallon long tank (30x12x12 inches) works for 1 axolotl and a 40 breeder (36x18x16 inches) works for up to 3 axolotls.

Get the right filter and keep the right temperature. Surprisingly this will help your axolotl have full gills because it isn’t stressful. The temp should be 60 to 68 F. I use a clip on desk fan blowing across the tank to accomplish this. Monitor the temp so it doesn’t drop too fast though. For the filter, I recommend sponge filters.

LIVE PLANTS. Live plants are so beautiful and help to create a healthy environment for the axolotl. They provide shelter, help with water quality, and create a beautiful slice of nature right in your home. Because axolotls can be mouthy and not all plants do well in cold water and low light, I would recommend Amazon Swords. You will want seachem root tabs for these though. These grow fast and develop sturdy root systems your axolotl will have a hard time digging up. Anubias are good too, but need to be attached to driftwood or rocks so that their base (rhizome) doesn’t rot. Hornwort and anacharis are good options but a bit fragile. Floating plants are great too. Duckweed, azolla (fairy moss), frog bit are all great choices! If you want to get amazon swords and Anubias, check out My Fish Stuff on Ebay. Great prices, large and healthy plants, free shipping. You should be able to get one of each for $15. The plants are so large it’s worth it. Mine actually came as multiple individual plants, see the picture below. That was one order of Anubias and one order of amazon sword.View attachment 90418
as for the live plants section- i cannot reccomend java ferns and crested java ferns enough, i love them sm and the crested java ferns propagate very quickly (for me at least)

Gosh. I just keep them in bowls and change the water completely every few days. Costs virtually nothing. But you can get as elaborate as you like. As for sourcing animals,.I got about 80 eggs from 2 people on here from the classifieds about 3 weeks ago and all together I spent about $60 including shipping.

Gosh. I just keep them in bowls and change the water completely every few days. Costs virtually nothing. But you can get as elaborate as you like. As for sourcing animals,.I got about 80 eggs from 2 people on here from the classifieds about 3 weeks ago and all together I spent about $60 including shipping.
i have a fully planted 20 gallon long with a sponge filter and lava rock- cost me a bit but it’s keeping itself up now, the plants are thriving

40 breeder stand - $100
Axolotls (3) $60+$85+$85

Some money saving https://fitmymoney.com/best-metal-credit-cards/ and axolotl care tips that I’ve learned

LIVE PLANTS. Live plants are so beautiful and help to create a healthy environment for the axolotl. They provide shelter, help with water quality, and create a beautiful slice of nature right in your home. Because axolotls can be mouthy and not all plants do well in cold water and low light, I would recommend Amazon Swords. You will want seachem root tabs for these though. These grow fast and develop sturdy root systems your axolotl will have a hard time digging up. Anubias are good too, but need to be attached to driftwood or rocks so that their base (rhizome) doesn’t rot. Hornwort and anacharis are good options but a bit fragile. Floating plants are great too. Duckweed, azolla (fairy moss), frog bit are all great choices! If you want to get amazon swords and Anubias, check out My Fish Stuff on Ebay. Great prices, large and healthy plants, free shipping. You should be able to get one of each for $15. The plants are so large it’s worth it. Mine actually came as multiple individual plants, see the picture below. That was one order of Anubias and one order of amazon sword.
Thanks for sharing these detailed insights into your axolotl tank setup and cost breakdown. It's clear that you've put a lot of thought and effort into creating a healthy and comfortable environment for your axolotls.
Your money-saving tips and advice on axolotl care are invaluable for anyone looking to start their own setup. The recommendation for GillyWater Aquatics and tips on choosing the right tank size, filter, and temperature control are particularly helpful for beginners.
Additionally, your suggestions on live plants and where to purchase them will be appreciated by those looking to create a beautiful and functional habitat for their axolotls. Your willingness to help others understand the importance of tank cycling and proper feeding is also commendable.
Overall, your comment provides a wealth of information for axolotl enthusiasts, and I'm sure it will be a valuable resource for many. Thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge!

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back