Axolotl help

Eutuchia

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have purchased a baby axolotl I have had him for about 4 weeks now it’s just starting to develop back legs at the beginning of the week, but yesterday he has started swimming on his side not completely sideways just slightly off kilter to the side where the back leg is coming out. It’s still swimming fine not floating on the top of the water still eating fine and pooping, water temp is 15deg, ph 7.2. Is this normal or is it something I need to worry about?

axolotls don't have swim bladders or a means to ballast, so they are very poor swimmers and it isn't unusual for them to swim oddly.

axolotls don't have swim bladders or a means to ballast, so they are very poor swimmers and it isn't unusual for them to swim oddly.
What do you think it is then?

sounds like an issue with balance, right now he/she has more weight on one side causing him/her to be off kilter.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back