Axolotl Help

MStJean

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello Everyone,

I need help with a juvenile axolotl who is on his back. A week ago I found him at the bottom of the tank and fridged him because I was unsure what was wrong. After three days, I took him to a dark cool room and gave him 100% water change in his tub each day after slowly warming him. He ate well for 3 days and stayed upright. Yesterday, (Sunday - a week after I first found him) I found him upside down in the tub and there's no help for him to turn over - even when I lowered the water so he could balance and not float. He automatically goes on his back and he's not eaten much since Saturday (now Monday) - Small bites of blood worms and brine shrimp. I have tried black tea baths since Friday and using a tiny piece of indian almond leaf in the tub. But, he's not improving since I started those treatments. Water parameters were good when I found him but PH was slightly low. I'm now going to try melafix in case he's got a bacterial infection. I don't know what else to do. I'm in a small town with no access to a vet who would know anything about axolotls. The other problem may be the water temperature will go from 65 to 68 from morning to night but never over 70. He is currently tubbed and his heart is beating and he's moving but still upside down. I've moved the tank to the basement where it's cooler but I don't think he's ready to come out of the tub. 🙁

the water should be between 59°f and 64°f (preferably as close to 59°f as possible) so that is a problem and may be the cause ie.. heat stress, ensure the water is well oxygenated.
tub in water that is very shallow to force his feet and stomach to touch the floor, make sure to use a lid to prevent escape and reduce evaporation (make sure that there are air holes and that it is placed somewhere cold, preferably not below 50°f if possible) .
add 2g/l non-iodised salt or 50% holtfreters + 0.1g/l magnesium sulphate to any water he is in.

the water should be between 59°f and 64°f (preferably as close to 59°f as possible) so that is a problem and may be the cause ie.. heat stress, ensure the water is well oxygenated.
tub in water that is very shallow to force his feet and stomach to touch the floor, make sure to use a lid to prevent escape and reduce evaporation (make sure that there are air holes and that it is placed somewhere cold, preferably not below 50°f if possible) .
add 2g/l non-iodised salt or 50% holtfreters + 0.1g/l magnesium sulphate to any water he is in.
Thank you for replying. How long do you think he should remain in the tub? Also, I've read posts and a lot of people don't like to use salt it seems. Have you had success with it?

I always use 50% holtfreters + 0.1g/l magnesium sulphate (contains salt, I tend to round of the salt level to 2g/l rather than 1.85g/l) with my axolotls to provide the correct water chemistry and to protect against fungus etc..

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back