Axolotl temp

Untreu

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
during the Christmas holidays I go away from home but just after Christmas a couple years back I was given an axolotl. When I left her to go away on holiday last year the heating turned off and when I came back 3 days later it was 5 degrees celcius in the tank and she wasn’t moving much. After I turned the heating back on she was lively again. This year when I go away it it worth putting my tank heater that can only go to 20 degrees at the lowest in or should I just do what i did last year and not worry as much

5°c is a bit low and very risky although using a heater posses it's own risks, if using a heater make sure there's a guard on it (axolotls have a habit of lying on things which increase risk of injury), try to find somewhere in the tank where there is water movement (axolotl tanks have low water movement which can cause damage to the heater), try to get a heater that can either be set to a low temperature or use an external thermometer control (20°c is a bit high, 15°c-18°c being ideal)

Real cold is o.k. To hot once and they are dead. I rarely use a heater in a salamander tank.

I'd trust wolfen's advice here any day...as Wolfen said, too low a temperature is risky.
If your apartment temp gets down to near freezing you are risking a lot more than axolotl problems. I've had axolotls outside in a cold snap. The top of their tub had ice over it and the axolotls did fine.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back