Axolotls acting weird/crazy?

Melina

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Hello again!

I just got new axolotls, and they are acting very strange.

I did everything that I’m supposed to, I made them rest in the water to get used to the temperature, I carefully put them in and left them alone not to stress them.

I was watching because I was happy I got them, but then I noticed that all of them are doing some crazy things??
One of them looked like he was “scratching” his gills with his feet, the other one was biting the air and jumping around.

They all did that and I wasn’t sure if that’s normal because I had 2 axolotls and they never did that.

I checked the temperature and it seems okay because the owners said it was the same before.

I would be happy if someone answered!

Attachments

• IMG_3762.MOV
    19.9 MB
what are the water levels ie.. temperature, ph, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and kh, gh if possible.
what chemical are used ie.. dechlorinator etc..
what salts/minerals used if any.
although the water temperature is the same as they are used too the water chemistry itself would be different, this could be anything from less oxygen then they are used too to higher levels of nitrates.
if it was just one then the cause could be the axolotl itself, but because they are both behaving strangely then it is more then likely the environment, they will more than likely settle down once they get used to the new environment.
in the mean time because you have doubled the amount of axolotls you have also doubled the waste produced so keep an eye on the ammonia/nitrite levels, also increase oxygen levels in the tank if possible.

what are the water levels ie.. temperature, ph, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and kh, gh if possible.
what chemical are used ie.. dechlorinator etc..
what salts/minerals used if any.
although the water temperature is the same as they are used too the water chemistry itself would be different, this could be anything from less oxygen then they are used too to higher levels of nitrates.
if it was just one then the cause could be the axolotl itself, but because they are both behaving strangely then it is more then likely the environment, they will more than likely settle down once they get used to the new environment.
in the mean time because you have doubled the amount of axolotls you have also doubled the waste produced so keep an eye on the ammonia/nitrite levels, also increase oxygen levels in the tank if possible.
I will check about the water levels etc..
but the temperature was and is 20*.

When I had the other old 2 the levels were normal and as they should be. My axolotls didn’t act weird and didn’t have any things like this.

They kinda settled down and aren’t doing things like this anymore, but they are still swimming around but I think they are just stressed because they are somewhere new.

Thank you for your answer, I appreciate the fact that you helped me!

keeping axolotls at 20°c is a bit on the warm side and is mostly used to keep them at breeding condition although this can sometimes be stressful, ideally the temperature should be 15°c - 18°c.

keeping axolotls at 20°c is a bit on the warm side and is mostly used to keep them at breeding condition although this can sometimes be stressful, ideally the temperature should be 15°c - 18°c.
Thanks, I will try! I always tried to do it atleast between 16-19 but I’m not sure why it always went up. I close the top of the aquarium and I’m pretty sure my room isn’t that hot. But thanks!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back