Blue tailed fire belly newts

Mjk1843

Reaction score
Country
United States
hey everyone. I have a few questions about my Chinese fire belly newts. I’ve had two for three years now in a 10g tank. I always kept their tank hested. Recently the heater died and the water temps now stay around 58-60 degrees. It this ok? My basement is not heated and I live in Pennsylvania. The newts have been like this for a week. And are still eating aggressively. Should I not use a heater and just let the water warm and cool with the seasons?

Also, I’ve been wanting to get more. How many can live in a 10g? I have a 20 long sitting around I can use too. Thanks!

3 adult blue tailed fire bellies could be comfortably housed in a 10 gallon. There's also a caresheet on this site on this species here Caudata Culture Species Entry - Cynops cyanurus for some guidelines, those temps are fine. Should help to induce breeding behavior as well if you want that. Any pictures? They're one of my favorite species.

The newts will be fine. I recommend you check on whatever else you have in the tank though. Plants, shrimps, snails, etc. What temperature can they function at?

I've been keeping and breeding Blue tailed firebelly for about 4 years now. Unlike the European newts, they come from subtropical areas and do not like cold temps. When 1st acquired at 6 months of age I placed them in my basement side "cold" room. Temps were down to 65 and BT's were lethargic and not eating well. I moved them to the "fish" side of the basement where temps ranged from 68 - 76 and they have thrived ever since. Fully aquatic they breed twice a year. Also keep C. e. popei and T. shanjing tanks next to BT's. They also like the warmer temps and are very active during the day. C. e. popei are breeding as well.

I keep my 4M/4F breeding group in a 20 gallon and they do fine. Sponge filter and 90% water changes w/filter squeeze every 12 - 14 days.

Anubias barteri is a strong sturdy anubias that I use in all my newt tanks. Plant them in sand in a small glass dish w/small rocks to stabilize. Leaves should make it to the surface for newts to lay on. Narrow leaved anacharis (Elodea najas) and Java fern work well in both warm water as well as cold water newt tanks. The barteri in the attached pic has gotton WAY to large for them to use properly. It was replaced with a smaller one.

Good luck, Steve H.

Attachments

• Adult cyanurus tank.jpg
    Adult cyanurus tank.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 59
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • gemmie:
    Hello I've been looking into axolotls and wasn't sure if it was even legal to get a pet one in Australia
    +1
    Unlike
    gemmie: Hello I've been looking into axolotls and wasn't sure if it was even legal to get a pet one in... +1
    Back