Can I freeze crickets?

Reccetrooper

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
Grant
I’ve been feeding live crickets to both my tigers since they came into my care. Usually I’ll purchase 25 to 50 crickets at a time, place them in a cricket cage with food and moisture.
The problem is most will die in a week if not fed to Socrates and Sophie.
Recently, I’ve been feeding them small pinkie mice from the pet store. I thaw them out then feed them with forceps. So here’s my question, can I freeze crickets then thaw them out prior to feeding? Do crickets need to be alive in order to feed my tigers? My thoughts are that if I can feed thawed pinkie mice, I should be able to do the same to crickets?

Honestly, I don't see why not.
The freezer may cause them to lose some nutritional value but as long as you gut load and hydrate them well beforehand it should be fine.
As far as keeping them alive, removing dead crickets and using extra egg carton has been the key to keeping some of my crickets alive for months at a time.

Update, Those two tigers are eating dead thawed crickets with no issues. I feed them 5 or 6 crickets every three of four days with one dusted with calcium without D3.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back