Could Taricha granulosa breeding be triggered in part by smell?

sde

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Seth
Just a thought, but could it be?

I have heard that they navigate to their breeding grounds by smell, so is it also possible that they are in part triggered to go the breeding grounds by smell? Like certain smells of the season? I have also wondered if other things like the presence of certain owl calls and bird activity could trigger them in part?

The reason I ask is because if smell does play a role in breeding triggering, I wonder if I could put some of that smell in my tank ( certain plants etc. )?

Oh, its a bit off topic, but is it possible that having water from the newts natural breeding habitat in my tank could "trick" them into breeding as well? And one more question. I have plants from their native breeding habitat, and I was wondering if they would care at all or if it could make a difference?

Thanks guys, and sorry for all the odd questions :/ -Seth

Re: Could Taricha granulosa breeding be triggerd in part by smell?

If that's the case, I'm sunk. But I know a lot of people manage to breed them anyway. Interesting idea, though.

I don't know about Granulosa, but with waltl....man....I have figured them out. You chop up a few worms and put them in with a cube of bloodworms, noting rinsed off. I can expect eggs the next day. All the blood and slime from the worms just makes them crazy. Maybe it will work with grans too, idk.

Good Luck!

Evan

I don't know the answer Seth, but It might be the last straw if I filled the house with birds twittering, owls calling and pond smells, I think both me and the newts would be kicked out! :)

If that's the case, I'm sunk. But I know a lot of people manage to breed them anyway. Interesting idea, though.

Yah, I know people do breed them, but maybe if the smell was right it would help? I don't know.....

I don't know about Granulosa, but with waltl....man....I have figured them out. You chop up a few worms and put them in with a cube of bloodworms, noting rinsed off. I can expect eggs the next day. All the blood and slime from the worms just makes them crazy. Maybe it will work with grans too, idk.

Good Luck!

Evan

That's interesting. I wouldn't have guessed that those smells would get them to breed. I have chopped worms with my granulosa all the time but have never tried bloodworm cubes. I think I will try that though, thanks man :happy:

I don't know the answer Seth, but It might be the last straw if I filled the house with birds twittering, owls calling and pond smells, I think both me and the newts would be kicked out! :)

Haha, yah, my mom would have none of it! The owl call thing is just kind of a thought. I noticed that the owls here are doing this certain call ( I think its a mating call maybe ), so it just got me thinking.

I cant believe myself! I am sooo crazy! I think I will try the pond water and owl call thing...yes, its crazy, but its fun yah know.....no, you probably don't. Not many people are as crazy as me! :crazy:

Any other opinions on this subject?

For what it's worth, the combination of chopped earthworms and fresh cold water (right after a water change) bring my T. granulosa into a general frenzy ... which will often trigger breeding behavior. So I think there might be something to the "food/ breeding behavior" idea just mentioned. But I also think a temperature drop in the water may help too. It might be a combination of several factors that really does it. At least that has been my observation...

I have fed my newts right after water changes and it doesn't seem to do anything? I always thought that they would get stressed from the disturbance from the water change and would just go hide. I don't know maybe its worth another try.

Yes I know that temperature drop is a factor, and a big one as far as I know. Light reduction/ introduction, as well as water temp, and water depth also play roles I think.

Environmental conditions play a huge role in breeding, its reasonable that smell could too. Given how many people breed Taricha every year without any knowledge of their animals origins though demonstrates that it is not the trigger for breeding success.

Given the importance of cooling and day length you may do better focusing more on those variables to get your animals to breed. Another thing to consider is that not every Taricha will breed every year. It is common for females to breed every 2-3 years (at least in rivularis) and for males to take a year off as well. If you have not had your animals very long (say a year +) it could just be a matter of getting them acclimated to their captive conditions before they feel comfortable to breed.

Environmental conditions play a huge role in breeding, its reasonable that smell could too. Given how many people breed Taricha every year without any knowledge of their animals origins though demonstrates that it is not the trigger for breeding success.

Given the importance of cooling and day length you may do better focusing more on those variables to get your animals to breed. Another thing to consider is that not every Taricha will breed every year. It is common for females to breed every 2-3 years (at least in rivularis) and for males to take a year off as well. If you have not had your animals very long (say a year +) it could just be a matter of getting them acclimated to their captive conditions before they feel comfortable to breed.

Yes, I also don't think that its the thing that triggers them, I just thought that maybe it could be a triggering factor.

I am focusing on those variables more than any other. I just thought that this might help. Who knows though. I might test it in the future, but that wont be for a while.

Yes, it is my understanding from a book that females breed every two years and males breed every year, but that is probably variable.
One of the ones I have was found crossing to the breeding grounds, and the others were just crossing in the fall ( not to the breeding grounds ). So it may not be breeding years for all of them.

Any other thoughts? Anyone else have an opinion on if smell could be a factor? -Seth

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    sera: @Clareclare, +2
    Back