Ease of Transitioning T. gran adults to water

jewett

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Heather Jewett
I have a trio of adult Taricha granulosa since fall of 2014. They have been doing well in their terrestrial set up but I am wanting to place them in an aquatic set up. I will be setting up and cycling a planted aquarium for them in the next few weeks but was curious if anyone could chime in on what I should expect regarding the transition. Do granulosa seem hesitant to return to the water after being terrestrial? Are there specific environmental cues that encourage them to be aquatic again that I should expose them to first while their new digs are being readied for them? Recommended water depth to get them started? Should I provide a really nice, large haul out with lots of hides, or will this only encourage them to remain land bound?

Currently they are kept in a cool room (around 55-58F) and the only light is from neighboring aquarium LEDs on an 8 hour light cycle (the T. grans themselves are in a transparent rubbermaid container).

They have access to a large water bowl right now and I often see it used so I am hopeful the transition will be smooth, but any tips or insights are very much appreciated. I definitely want to avoid too much stress on the little ones! I figure this would be a reasonable time of year as in the wild adult T. grans would be returning to the water during the early spring warm up, but if I have waited too long I can let the aquatic set up sit until early 2017 if recommended (I am probably way too concerned and over thinking this but I fear drownings!)

Thanks guys!

HJ

I've heard/seen some people just put them in and they're fine, but you could make either a semi-aquatic tank with shallow water, or a shallow tank with a lot of floating plants on the surface. I'm also really jealous of you, Taricha and Notophthalmus are my favorite geneses, dare I say favorite animals. Any photos of them?

My grans transitioned to aquatic setups very well in the spring when they were ready to breed, but i am afraid their breeding season is likely almost over. None the less i think the males will take to the water pretty easily, but perhaps the females won't be so eager.
I can't speak from experience as i haven't done exactly what you are wanting to do before, but i think a setup with several small islands and lots of plants in the water would entice them into the water. Perhaps since the islands have less cover than the water that would help encourage them in.
As for water depth, maybe if you started with shallow water (maybe 6 inches or so?) that would reduce the risk of drowning in case they aren't ready, but if they seem comfortable you could raise it.
As for environmental cues, in the wild temperature, rainfall, and photo period are all likely triggers to start migrating and hence also go aquatic. I have observed they will almost always start migrating in the spring as soon as it gets to about 50 F and starts raining a lot. In the Seattle area that has happened anywhere from late January to early March.

I hope this helps a bit, and good luck with them, they are a fantastic species!

I am currently on the same situation. I just got two Taricha granulosa and I am trying to transition them to an aquatic lifestyle. They were raised terrestrially and on worms. I am trying to transition them to aquatic food as well, mainly frozen cubes of blood worms and marine cuisine. In their tank I have a reptofilter set up so Frey have a good size land area and I have superpowers and Phoenix worms in a worm dish there. I am trying live brine shrimp and live ghost shrimp to encourage them to move to the water, and I nudge them towards it to see it. I am trying to put small amounts of a variety of foods in the water to try to help them. So far they seem hesitant. They spend most of their time on the land portion but sometimes now they go in the water. Please let me know if anything works for you.

Hi,
I think Seth' has some good points, in addition I recomend to let the tank uncycled (at least at the beginning), Taricha granulosa doesn't like currents. Keep an eye on them while transitioning, make sure they really eat in water and checke their skin especially at the tip of the tail they may develop skin problems.
I hope this helps
Fabian

I have raised a good number from eggs and I never let them get completely terrestrial in the first place, but I'd suggest starting with 1/2 inch of water highly planted (or really lots of silk plants ) and gradually raise that. Or sometimes I tip a tank at an angle and gradually lower it, or a combination of both.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back