Fairy Shrimp

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Johnny O. Farnen
I decided to try my hand a fairy shrimp culturing (as my hatred of brine shrimp refuses to subside) before my wife kills my eBay habit.

I was just curious if anyone has played around with any of the various species readily available on the web.

I used to catch them as a child in the wind drift ponds along the Great Lakes, but never really got into actually culturing them.

There is a small stack of species found here, though I've only played with a big [one inch] green one that I haven't gotten around to IDing. Unlike the brine shrimp [also found here], a number of fairy shrimp have tricky requirements for cultivating. I'm actually more interested in finding and maintaining some of the Branchinecta [the three-inch B.gigas occurs here] for their own sake.

When I happened on a significant number of tadpole shrimp last year [in my life I had seen three. In ten minutes I collected about 30], I managed to get some home, and they reproduced in one of my rainwater storage bins this year, which was cool.

There is a small stack of species found here, though I've only played with a big [one inch] green one that I haven't gotten around to IDing. Unlike the brine shrimp [also found here], a number of fairy shrimp have tricky requirements for cultivating. I'm actually more interested in finding and maintaining some of the Branchinecta [the three-inch B.gigas occurs here] for their own sake.

When I happened on a significant number of tadpole shrimp last year [in my life I had seen three. In ten minutes I collected about 30], I managed to get some home, and they reproduced in one of my rainwater storage bins this year, which was cool.

I have a selection of Streptos and Branchi on the way. I figure 10k eggs should be enough to experiment with for a while.

Sadly, the gigas are only found in alkaline, hypo saline pools...however I have a line on some being farm raised, just have to wait until spring to get them. I too am interested in them more as yet another interesting invertebrate to add to my zoo. Will be interesting to work with a high alkalinity saline tank again. Haven't had to do that for years.

I just restarted my triops tank here, as it is a Christmas tradition. I got one of those kits for kids in 1997 and have regenerated it almost every year.

Have some fun with this site. I bought some samples of their products too.

Photo Gallery

Six species of Branchinecta make up about half of Alberta's anostracans, which is surprising. What I know of B.gigas here is that it's found in larger prairie lakes seasonally, appearing early in the season before salinities change. It's also a predator, feeding on smaller anostracans like other species of Branchinecta. You likely have a number of species in your neighborhood [hmmm...B.potassa..., probably B.readingi...]

Aquatic Invertebrates of Alberta
Atlas of Alberta Lakes

The tadpole shrimp I had seem in past were all in deep prairie or parkland ponds, which likely didn't freeze solid. They could have been Lepidurus or Triops. The ones I found last year were Lepidurus, though I'd have to double check which species. What was odd, was not only were there TONS of them, but the water appeared to be shallow and flowing, in what was likely a shallow marsh connected to the upper reachs of a river near the continental divide. Not exactly the warm and temporary "vernal pools" they're expected from. In the back yard [west side] in a deep Rubbermaid bin full of aquatic moss and rainwater, they survived and bred. In winter, the bin was only a few inches of water, plus moss, frozen solid for parts of the season.

If I still lived in Yellowknife, I could probably harvest and export B.paludosa [presumptive ID 35 years after the fact], given that they swarmed in every water-filled crack in the Canadian Shield. That may be the same species common in sloughs here, but with more than a dozen species possible, I simply haven't sat down with the microscope to do it, much less try to culture them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    sera: @Clareclare, +2
    Back