Filter help!!

axie.newbie

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I’ve just recently got an axolotl about 2 to 3 months ago. His tank is bare bottom and I have sponge filters.
Yesterday, I cleaned his tank out and his filters were looking really dirty. Usually I wash them in the tank water that I take out but it hasn’t seemed to be cleaning them? So I took them apart and washed them in my sink and the water was really dirty that came out of them so initially I was happy I had cleaned them! But now I’ve seen a few things saying it washes away the beneficial bacteria in the filter and so my cycle will be broken?? I’m now worried that I’ve ruined my tank cycle and the ammonia and nitrates will begin to increase. I know, stupid mistake as everyone tells you to wash them with tank water but it hasn’t seemed to be working.
If anyone can put my mind at ease or give me tips on how to start up my cycle again? Will it begin to cycle again on its own? I’m going to test the water parameters in about a week.
Many thanks!!

if you have substrate ie.. sand and some porous ornaments in the tank then the cycle might not be totally broken otherwise due to the chlorine in tap water your filters bacteria colony could have been destroyed.
was the tank cycled properly before introducing your axolotl?
how big is your axolotl?
nitrates are the end product of the cycle and are normally removed via water changes/plants/reactors/special media, if nitrates are being produced then the cycle is running to a degree, ammonia and nitrites need to be zero if there is any sign of either then your axolotl will need to be tubbed whilst the tank/filter is cycled.

Hi, I’ve just recently got an axolotl about 2 to 3 months ago. His tank is bare bottom and I have sponge filters.
Yesterday, I cleaned his tank out and his filters were looking really dirty. Usually I wash them in the tank water that I take out but it hasn’t seemed to be cleaning them? So I took them apart and washed them in my sink and the water was really dirty that came out of them so initially I was happy I had cleaned them! But now I’ve seen a few things saying it washes away the beneficial bacteria in the filter and so my cycle will be broken?? I’m now worried that I’ve ruined my tank cycle and the ammonia and nitrates will begin to increase. I know, stupid mistake as everyone tells you to wash them with tank water but it hasn’t seemed to be working.
If anyone can put my mind at ease or give me tips on how to start up my cycle again? Will it begin to cycle again on its own? I’m going to test the water parameters in about a week.
Many thanks!!

The way you will know if you killed the cycle is if ammonia and/or nitrite begin to rise in your tank. The only way to measure that is with a test kit (preferably liquid tests). The cheapest liquid test kit in the states is the API Freshwater Master Test Kit. It is available in every big box pet store and almost all smaller local stores as well as online. Typically costs about 30 dollars. If you don't have a test kit currently, go buy this now and then test your tank water. If you detect ammonia then do a big water change (as close to 100% as you can get without drying out your axolotl). Keep doing those water changes daily for as long as you detect ammonia.

if you have substrate ie.. sand and some porous ornaments in the tank then the cycle might not be totally broken otherwise due to the chlorine in tap water your filters bacteria colony could have been destroyed.
was the tank cycled properly before introducing your axolotl?
how big is your axolotl?
nitrates are the end product of the cycle and are normally removed via water changes/plants/reactors/special media, if nitrates are being produced then the cycle is running to a degree, ammonia and nitrites need to be zero if there is any sign of either then your axolotl will need to be tubbed whilst the tank/filter is cycled.
I don’t have any substrate he has a bare bottom tank, I have 4 live plants in his tank and two large rocks, he also has a shelter to hide under.
Yes it was cycled for about 2 weeks before I introduced him.
He is about 20cm long.
To cycle it again do I just need to leave it? Or do I need to add something?
Thank you!

The way you will know if you killed the cycle is if ammonia and/or nitrite begin to rise in your tank. The only way to measure that is with a test kit (preferably liquid tests). The cheapest liquid test kit in the states is the API Freshwater Master Test Kit. It is available in every big box pet store and almost all smaller local stores as well as online. Typically costs about 30 dollars. If you don't have a test kit currently, go buy this now and then test your tank water. If you detect ammonia then do a big water change (as close to 100% as you can get without drying out your axolotl). Keep doing those water changes daily for as long as you detect ammonia.
Thank you! I already have a testing kit so I’ve just tested the water, ammonia and nitrites are both at 0, is that good? It’s been about 2 days since I cleaned the filters out so would any ammonia have formed by now?

Thank you! I already have a testing kit so I’ve just tested the water, ammonia and nitrites are both at 0, is that good? It’s been about 2 days since I cleaned the filters out so would any ammonia have formed by now?

Zero ammonia and nitrite is good, that's where you want it to stay. Monitor it every day for a week or 2 doing normal weekly maintenance. If nothing changes all is well. As for how quickly ammonia forms? Depends on how often your axolotl poops :p

I assume because the tank is bare bones (zero substrate) you are doing regular waste clean (removing faecal matter and excess food), this will help reduce ammonia build up which will allow the cycle to recover, continue doing 50% water changes every couple of days whilst clearing any waste.
to re-cycle the tank the same procedure that was used to cycle the first time around can be used (normally dosed with ammonia at 4ppm to cycle and future proof) although it can be done at a lower level (2ppm for juvenile/adult) as if the tank/filtration has been future proofed it doesn't require doing twice.

I assume because the tank is bare bones (zero substrate) you are doing regular waste clean (removing faecal matter and excess food), this will help reduce ammonia build up which will allow the cycle to recover, continue doing 50% water changes every couple of days whilst clearing any waste.
to re-cycle the tank the same procedure that was used to cycle the first time around can be used (normally dosed with ammonia at 4ppm to cycle and future proof) although it can be done at a lower level (2ppm for juvenile/adult) as if the tank/filtration has been future proofed it doesn't require doing twice.
Yes as soon as I notice any poop/ dead plant I remove them from the tank. As for food I feed him worms with tweezers because he can’t find them if I put them down so there’s never really any excess!
Thank you for all of your help, I will keep monitoring and keeping an eye on it. You’ve put my mind at ease now aha!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back