Filter Replacement

Jhyromy

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a filter in my axolotl tank which doesn’t seem to be the best quality, it has only worked for about a month and its starting to slowly shut down as its filtering less water, ive had this experience with many filters now so im thinking of getting a sponge filter, but I don’t know how to replace my old filter with the sponge filter without harming my cycle and crashing it.. Do I just let the new filter sit there until it grows bacteria and then remove the old filter? Or will that also harm the cycle, what do I do??

make sure the filter is large enough to do the job ie.. 40 for a 20 gallon, 60 for a 30 gallon etc.., also use a 2 or 3 stage filter ie.. mechanical and biological or mechanical,biological and chemical, may be better.
having the new filter in place (running) in conjunction with the older one will allow for some bacteria build up (although it will still be shared) without damaging the cycle, the old one can then be removed after a couple of weeks (once it is removed use filter start bacteria to make up for any loss)

make sure the filter is large enough to do the job ie.. 40 for a 20 gallon, 60 for a 30 gallon etc.., also use a 2 or 3 stage filter ie.. mechanical and biological or mechanical,biological and chemical, may be better.
having the new filter in place (running) in conjunction with the older one will allow for some bacteria build up (although it will still be shared) without damaging the cycle, the old one can then be removed after a couple of weeks (once it is removed use filter start bacteria to make up for any loss)
Okay thank you so much, I will be doing this

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    sera: @Clareclare, +2
    Back