FYI: Floaters – a new phenotype

I'm unsure that this phenotype is the problem that most people with "floaters" have. My problem floater swallows air, it is not air in the mouth, it is air in the guts. My other axolotls do gulp air in their mouth and float and then sink when they have eaten. I have one which used to float but seems to have self medicated with sand. I wonder if axolotls in the wild control their buoyancy with appropriate ingestion of mud and air!

I keep my floater in a tank with dense weed, it can burrow into it and get down that way. However if it gets much worse I will regard it as cruel to keep it alive.

I'm unsure that this phenotype is the problem that most people with "floaters" have. My problem floater swallows air, it is not air in the mouth, it is air in the guts.

We are talking about air in the lungs with this particular phenotype.

Dr. Ed Zalisko - BC Floater lead researcher

Hello to all:

I am Ed Zalisko, Professor of Biology at Blackburn College. I was the professor leading my students in describing the new Blackburn College Floater phenotype, first reported at the Society for Integrative and Comparative Biology meetings in Jan. 2009.

I saw a few questions posted already and thought I might be able to help a bit.
We first noticed the phenotype in our first axolotl cross of spring 2005. About 25% or so of nearly 200 animals were variously floating at the surface. As an undergraduate and masters student, I took care of specimens of new, yet to be describes axolotl species under the supervision of Dr. Ron Brandon. A quick search of axolotl species reveals Dr. Brandon's important contributions to axolotl biology and his work describing new species. So I had one heck of a good mentor.

In my student days raising axolotls, we would sometimes see a few larvae, perhaps 1-2%, floating at the surface. Typically, we could see an air bubble or two in the animals' intestines. In short, they needed to burp or fart their way back to health.

So in 2005, when we had about a quarter of our animals floating, it was a sign that something else was up. And just about anyone who has learned basic genetics understands recessive alleles can appear at about 25% when two heterozygotes are crossed. So right away, in 2005, I started wondering about an inherited trait that caused the floating.

When I looked more closely, and in hundreds of photographs I took of floaters, it is clear that the lungs, and not intestines, are hyper inflated. The condition seems to be anatomically based, in which inspiration can occur, but that there are varying degrees of difficulty exhaling. As I note in the video some of you might have viewed, it is lucky that the sustained inflation of the lungs extends the gills downward when the animal floats upside down. Thus, the gills extend fully and may in fact become more efficient at gas exchange.

In our original Jan. 2009 description and naming of this new axolotl phenotype, we describe the series of crosses we performed, repeating the original cross and conducting additional crosses of the same male with other females.

I saw a posting wondering about how floaters can transfer sperm and thus reproduce. In 2006-2008, we learned that helping floaters stay down, for perhaps 24 hours, causes many of them to deflate their lungs. Sometimes the air escapes, perhaps due to increased pressure at greater water depths, or perhaps the air in the lungs is slowly absorbed into the bloodstream. Regardless of how the air is lost, animals that can be driven down deeper by a strong trickle filter, and which can stay down by grabbing bottom substrate, often stay down and stop floating. Currently in the Blackburn College Floater colony, we have about 50 animals that are such recovered floaters. It is such animals that we use in crosses to produce more floaters, and test the inheritance patterns.

Research that we hope to present in the next year, at an upcoming SICB meeting, will share experiments we performed regarding this loss of the inflated lungs. We keep some animals submerged for 24 hours and found about half had lost the air in their lungs (I don't have the data with me at this moment). So then we wondered, what will happen if we next leave the animals alone in still water for another day. The answer, again generally speaking, is that about half of those who had deflated lungs due to submersion, reacquired the hyper inflated lungs and began floating again. So it looks like keeping floaters in a tank with a trickle filter, generating a downward flow, can stop many floaters from floating (data on this was presented in our 2009 poster).

As to any adaptive advantage of the floater trait. I see the trait as another, in a long line of mutations that does not reflect a natural adaptation. Instead, it is likely a mutation that was acquired in the many decades of axolotl inbreeding that is characteristic of lab. axolotls. There are so many known lethal traits.

But I am always interested in questions, and comments, regarding our student project.

And before I end, let me give a pitch for Blackburn College. We have about 500 students total at the college, and about 20-25% are biology majors of various sorts. It is a very big biology program. We are now housed in a new, very large science building and my new axolotl research lab. will be completed this spring. All resident students, and many commuters, participate in our work program, in which students work for 10 hours a week to help run the college. In addition to building the majority of our campus buildings, the students maintain the facilities, and in the sciences, help teach the labs. (professors are always teaching the labs too). And my workers help keep the axolotl colony going. In fact, the first author of the 2009 paper worked all 4 years with me as part of the work program, just doing research on the BC Floaters. In addition to working closely with faculty, and developing a spectacular campus community, the cost to go to our college is the same or cheaper than state universities!

OK. That's it for tonight.
I do not know that I will be able to check this blog often, or much at all.
However, I invite emails to my college address.
My email address is: ezali@blackburn.edu
I shall try to respond to as many as I can. But please understand. I have to attend to the needs of my students first. My students are, after all, the reason I teach.

My best to all,

Ed Zalisko, Ph.D.
Professor of Biology
Blackburn College

Wow! Dr. Zalisko:

I just wanted to take a second to thank you for taking some time out of your busy schedule and contributing to our community. I am honoured and humbled that you noticed the thread that I started. As well, I appreciate the fact that you went through the thread and answered questions that arose from various members. The additional information that you provided on your research has given us a much fuller picture!

Like many on this forum, I find your research fascinating and I hope you keep us updated when you can.

My BC floater.

I purchased my axolotl from Dr. Zalisko in May 2013 when he was two months old. Soon after purchasing him, about two or three months after, he started to show the BC floater trait. I actually thought he was dead, but I saw his heart beating and that was the only reason why I knew he was a live. They float for 2weeks to up to a year to be considered a floater, and my floated for three weeks. I had to hand feed him very carefully to keep him eating. The two pictures before are what they look like when floating on their side, though most will float with the trunk of their chest sticking out of the water. The last three are him now, one year old this month and a whopping 9 inches so far. Very proud of him. As you can see, the floating gene had no negative effect on him in the long run, but he can pass it on to his off spring. :)

Attachments

• axolotl1.jpg
    axolotl1.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 157
  • axolotl2.jpg
    axolotl2.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 184
  • axolotl3.jpg
    axolotl3.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 218
  • axolotl4.jpg
    axolotl4.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 170
  • axolotl5.jpg
    axolotl5.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 189
A is very much for creating this research! 2 of three of my Axolotls must possess this floating gene, I got them both from the same place at the same time, every other Axolotl from their batch has died since then ( about September 2014 ). It is reassuring to know that the floating is not a direct result of my poor care.
What I would like to know is if it would be kinder to euthanize said Axolotls or just leave them be and hope for a miracle. Are the floaters in any kind of constant stress or pain or do they learn to live with it?

I tried everything to cure them and apparently it may have only made things worse. :(

What I would like to know is if it would be kinder to euthanize said Axolotls or just leave them be and hope for a miracle. Are the floaters in any kind of constant stress or pain or do they learn to live with it?

I tried everything to cure them and apparently it may have only made things worse. :(

As long as you can successfully hand feed them, they should be fine. How do you think you've made things worse?

Is it safe to have non BC floaters in the same tank as floaters?
Wil they transmit their floatiness to the non floaters?

Given it is genetic, the should only transmit their floatiness to their offspring.

I don't know if they would be more at risk of being nipped by their non-floaty tank mates.

Dr. Zalisko - Blackburn College - Floaters details

Hello to everyone interested in axolotls.

Your interest in our research is exciting and I want to add some clarity, if anyone is still checking in here.

First, you can see me talking about Blackburn College Floaters, and see a live one upside down at the surface, in the short video you can find here.

https://www.planthavenfarms.com/axo...-salamanders-continue-to-intrigue-researchers

I see some of you speculating as to the adaptive nature of this trait. It is quite likely that this trait has resulted from a mutation in the 180+ years of inbreeding of the species. It may therefore not be found in the wild and thus may not have any natural adaptive advantage. I think that is most likely.

But if this did occur in the wild, what we suspect is that diving to any depth, certainly a meter or more, would generate enough pressure on the body to force out air in the lungs. If that animal remained near the bottom, they would not be inflating their lungs with any frequency and would likely remain at the bottom. We call such animals "recovered" floaters. And these are the type that we have bred with each other in the lab. My prior research in the 1980s was on the structure and functional properties of salamander spermatophores, with extensive research on many species of Ambystoma. So yes, as someone noted, these animals deposit spermatophores onto the substrate for sperm transfer. Our "recovered" floaters did just that.

If anyone has any additional questions, please feel free to email me at my college address:
edward.zalisko@blackburn.edu
Please be sure to put Blackburn College Floaters in the subject heading, so that I will be sure to read the email right away!

My best wishes to all of you interested in these amazing axolotls!

Ed Zalisko, Ph.D.
Professor of Biology
Blackburn College

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    sera: @Clareclare, +2
    Back