GPS Unit for Field Herping?

Mercuri

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Christina
Hi everyone - I know several of my hiking buddies and herp-minded friends use a handheld GPS unit to record locations and map routes when wandering about. I was wondering if any of the members here have a suggestion regarding brand/type?

Do you feel that mapping is an essential feature or do you prefer a paper map + coordinate gps? I'm just trying to get a feel for what other people are using and find effective.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

i use magellan 500le, i like it since i can key in full text data to way points, it is interactive with my computer and i can upload topo and regional maps that have lots of water features like streams and spring heads programmed in to the extra software. unfortunately I cannot add to the data base new stuff, but with its upgradable memmory (i have a 1gb chip in mine) i can hold lots of data in my pocket. colour screens reportedly also are less likely to be effected by cold temps. most people use garmins but i do prefer mine. the unit is still around 200$ and the whole NA map 3 cd set is around 100. i also use it in my car as the maps have full streets and needed points (like the nearest McDonalds/hotels/hospitals....) with the software upgrade, lots of cool stuff but you have to use it a while to be proficent, it doesnt have ease out of the box -that is expexted when you have so many features and functions to learn.

I've been thinking of investing in one of these things for similar reasons and hopefully for car navigation too. $200 doesn't seem to bad.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    gemmie: Hello I've been looking into axolotls and wasn't sure if it was even legal to get a pet one in... +1
    Back