Gravel or no gravel?

Reccetrooper

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
Grant
I layered 2-3 inches of soil then spread moss on top as substrate for my tigers. I just read that I should have put gravel down first followed by the potting soil then moss. Is a gravel layer really needed and why?

I layered 2-3 inches of soil then spread moss on top as substrate for my tigers. I just read that I should have put gravel down first followed by the potting soil then moss. Is a gravel layer really needed and why?
Do you mean putting gravel down first as a drainage layer?

If you keep plants in your tank that will need to be watered, a drainage layer is helpful in letting the water drip down out of the soil to avoid an overly soggy soil. I don't keep tiger salamanders, though, and don't know how much they dig.

I have a drainage layer using clay balls for my snakes' bioactive enclosure. (You need to place a sheet of window screening between the drainage layer and soil to keep them separated.)

Good luck.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back