Help new to this

MrHood

Reaction score
Country
United States
I got axolotl. And I setup an old aquarium I had just sitting around but everything is fine when I tested the liquid test but ammonia and I can't get it to go to 0. Should I just buy brand new tank and start again ?

increase the size of you bio-media in your filter (the ammonia removal is done by the filter not the tank)

I have 2 new filters one with dbl sponge and another on back

if the filters are new then it will take time to build up the bacteria, also although sponges will build up some bacteria the surface area isn't very high compared to bio-media.

So this is how my test came out

Attachments

• 20230512_225007.jpg
    20230512_225007.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 86
I've also used api conditioner and quick start

by the looks of it you are at the beginning of cycling (zero nitrates), what are you using as a source of ammonia?

the ammonia that is in tap water is from chloromines, when dechlorinators are used on tap water it removes chlorine and because tap water contains chlorine and chloromines it leaves ammonia behind (this is why on an established tank testing is done 24hrs after water change)
although it is some ammonia it isn't high enough to cycle an axolotl tank, cycling on an axolotl tank is done at the level of ammonia that an adult axolotl can produce which is 4ppm.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back