How cool is your water?

ShawnJPN

Reaction score
Country
Japan
Display Name
Shawn.jpn
I have been hesitant keeping Axolotls because the water needs to be cooler all year round then some of the normal tanks and other species. As I look more into keeping some, I am wondering if there are cheaper options than buying a chiller.

Depends on the size of the tank, smaller tank will fluctuate more than a larger tank. But some suggestions, Keep the tank out of direct sunlight, away from heating elements in your home (ducts and radiators), frozen water bottles you can float in the tank, ice cubes, insulation around the tank, water changes with cooler water (just be careful it’s not too drastic of a change because that can harm your axi)

I usually keep 3-4 water bottles of tank water in the fridge that I can pour in at anytime.

Depends on the size of the tank, smaller tank will fluctuate more than a larger tank. But some suggestions, Keep the tank out of direct sunlight, away from heating elements in your home (ducts and radiators), frozen water bottles you can float in the tank, ice cubes, insulation around the tank, water changes with cooler water (just be careful it’s not too drastic of a change because that can harm your axi)

I usually keep 3-4 water bottles of tank water in the fridge that I can pour in at anytime.
I definitely don't recommend ice cubes. My apartment is usually 72 degrees, so I was worried about the temperatures too, but I put a 30 gallon tank in the basement away from any heating elements and direct sunlight and put a $15 fan I got off Amazon on top of it and it stays at 60 degrees. Before I got the fan, the water would be between 65-70 degrees, and my axolotl seemed just as happy then as it is now.

The fan is a good idea. My axolotls in my basement go from about 58F to about 72F. 65 to 70 is pretty good but colder is better unless extreme. I've had them down almost to freezing. Much over 7oF for any length of time and you are asking for trouble.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back