Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: How often should i be feeding my 6 month old axolotl

tonimeloni

Reaction score
Hi everyone i was just wondering how often i should be feeding my axolotl she is not to fat or to skinny just the right size, i am currently feeding her every 3 days

Every 2 or 3 days is just fine. A good rule of thumb is to look at their belly in relation to their head. If the belly gets wider than its head then back off of feeding. If it gets smaller then increase feeding.

My larger Axies were born in November...so they are about 6 mos. old as well...I usually feed them on a daily basis, but skip a day every once in a while.

HI,

my litlle axies were born in October 09 and they are round about 14-16 cm in size. I´m feeding them every other day.

Tina

ok guys thanks just making sure i was feeding her enough food :D ;)

:ufo:

and how many red wrigglers for that type of axie?
i feed mine 1 every couple of days and it always seems hungry...

it's belly is not wider than its head, a little smaller even... maybe i should feed it 2 warms each take? or 1 every day?

Hi Daremo
Yes you could increase feeding if his belly is smaller, either of those methods would work.

Dont be fooled by the 'hungry' look. They are pretty piggy and would gladly eat most of the time :D

Mel

I'm not sure but I think it's just the right size?

here's a picture from above:

aristarco2.jpg

It wouldn't hurt to give him a little extra if you wanted to. He's not underweight though.

You tank floor is soooo clean! How do you keep it so clean?

Mel

haha I always thought it wasn't so clean...
I use a hose of about 0.5 m wide (it's small) and vacuum all the dirt I can see

Since I sometimes feed him pellets there was a lot of dirt around...
Last saturday I changed the substrate to gravel sand, I see how it goes with that one now ;)

But feeding him earthwarms is a lot better, he looooooves them and they don't leave that dirt all over

Im going on a 3 week holiday but I have someone to feed my 5 month old axolotls 3 times a week. I will probably give them a lot of food before I leave but try not to overfeed them. I was wondering if that is ok or if there is any holiday food suitable for axies as an alternative way to feed. Thanks

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    sera: @Clareclare, +2