I. alpestris apuana males bloat if kept aquatic after breeding?

Clintaceous

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Well, I might have lucked out and found one of my favourite newt species! I've never owned newts before, and I haven't heard back from the seller how much they are. If things go through though, I'm totally gonna get some!

Due to their rarity I definitely want to try breeding them. Based on what I've read on their care though, thoughts seem to be split between offering them their natural switch from aquatic to terrestrial and back depending on the season, and keeping them aquatic. Ideally I'd like to keep them aquatic year round, as its easier to keep them in their preferred temperature range doing so. If possible too, I'd like to even breed them without ever making them terrestrial.

I've read the care sheet on this website, and checked various other care sheets too, so I know the basics of their care. Its this dilemma of keeping them aquatic or switching up the habitat that confuses me.

I've managed to find a breeder of alpine newts! And they are the subspecies apuana!. However, they told me something I'd never heard before. Apparently, after breeding, if you don't make at least the males terrestrial after breeding they can suffer from bloat. Is this true? Being a newbie newt keeper, I would hate myself if anything happened to them, especially after my first attempt breeding.

Never heard that before. I've been keeping apuanaus aquatic for nearly a decade.

I thought it was interesting too. I thought bloat was caused by bacterial infections. Do you breed your apuanas? How do you go about it?

I've bred them dozens of times. Always kept them aquatic. They have a float, but never use it. Keep them happy and cold, and they will breed.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back