Land area and enclosure for Spanish ribbed newts

Lilibugz

Reaction score
Country
United States
I’m setting up an enclosure for some Spanish ribbed newts and I’m wondering what I should do for the land area? I want something that looks nice and doesn’t take up too much of their space. I think the wood I have isn’t tall enough to break the water like I planned. I’m not crazy about the look of turtle docs and I’ve read a lot of people just use cork bark which is definitely doable but I’m wondering if that works for these guys as they’re a pretty large species. Do they need to be able to fully haul themselves out, like do I need a 8-10 inch long piece of bark in there? Or would something they can just sorta rest on (around 4-6 inches?) suffice.

Other than this I’m using black sand , some large river rocks (no small ones as I don’t want them to ingest them, I also plant to use a flatter stone for feeding to reduce sand ingestion) , a large piece of driftwood, sponge filter, some live plants including, anacharis, Anubis nana, Java fern, and Java moss, and probably my favorite feature, a diy 3d background.
For reference I’m planning on keeping a pair in a 20 gallon long and the sponge filter is made for around a 40 gallon. I’ll probably purchase them at the start of May to give the tank some time to cycle.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back