Need ID's for the following

Isopod

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Greetings~
At the hour of Rat I had a night walk in an outlying stream 2 yards across to where I stayed.

8729729829_1295373087.jpg

8731291576_ba19e4f4f4.jpg

8730125163_e9b9965715.jpg

8729721255_fe421ea3e0.jpg

This one, I think, is from the genus Kaloula, tho not sure wich specie.Usually, they sound like carabaos in heat but this one croaks like that of a goat.
8730895104_da4a2f0f01.jpg

By the way, these frogs are photograph in the Island of Bohol, Philippines. :)

I have no idea on ID's, but those are excellent photos! Have you tried FrogForum or the field herper forum?

Great looking animals. You are so lucky to get to see them. What time is the hour of the Rat exactly??

I MIGHT have the right references to ID those, but they are all likely part of species complexes which tend to have island-specific forms which are often unnamed. There are a couple ID projects ahead of this one. It will require multiple references because of the large number of recent changes.

Hi Coastal Groovin

I was not sure of the time when I left the house, but returned almost 1:00 AM so 11:00PM (23:00) to 1:00 is under the hour of the rat, which I find figuratively amusing. ;)

I MIGHT have the right references to ID those, but they are all likely part of species complexes which tend to have island-specific forms which are often unnamed. There are a couple ID projects ahead of this one. It will require multiple references because of the large number of recent changes.

Can I read/PM me some articles/reference you have? It would be much appreciated. :)

The animals in your pictures appear to be a Sanguirana or other ranid, a Polypedates, two Platymantis or Limnonectes, and one Kaloula.

Rather than dig through my own thousands of references [yet], I did a quick Google Scholar search for 'amphibians bohol pdf'. [Try that, without quotes. Then search within the documents to see in what context the island is mentioned, which is generally a collecting locality for compared specimens. You can use this to generate a local species list of sorts]. You will see that many of the references are available from a single academic source, which is the university of one of the main researchers. That author would be a good source of additional papers and information, and would likely welcome new photographic or verbal records.

That produced several papers of interest on the first page, including one each on new species of Kaloula, Platymantis, Sanguirana, and Limnonectes.

These are all great papers which include long lists of samples used for comparison. For Bohol; Kaloula picta seems to be the only Kaloula sampled, although this is believed to be a probable species complex with undescribed island species. I have not yet looked at diagnostic features to be sure it isn't one of the many other endemic microhylids.

Polypedates is problematic, as I think P.leucomystax is the only recorded Philippine species, but this is a species complex within a species complex [P.leucomystax, P.megacephalus, and P.mutus cannot be distinguished reliably; and each is multiple species overlapping with the others].

I didn't look at the ranids. I suspect that it's not a Sanguirana, but shouldn't be difficult to ID.

The ceratobatrachids/dicroglossids are another matter. Platymantis are highly diverse and cryptic, and the dicroglossids are generally similar in appearance to Platymantis.

My friend from the facebook page concerning local naturalists suggested that pictures 1 and 2 might be a Platymantis sp.; 3 Kaloula sp.; 4 Polypedates leucomystax; 5 Hylarana sp.

In addition, one member of the frog forum suggested that Number 4 is said to look like that of Polypedates, Numbers 1 and 2 are from Fejervarya, Number 3 is from Kaloula (possible K.conjuncta)

You mentioned that the animals in the pictures appear to be a Sanguirana or other ranid, a Polypedates, two Platymantis or Limnonectes, and one Kaloula.

So far, from the additional information gathered, the genus Platymantis, Polypedates and obviously a Kaloula are starting to shed light.

To add an account on the possibilities of Kaloula sp. , I recall finding different "patterns" on each individual spotted, in which from for a commoner, the difference is quite obvious. I wonder if they can be distinguished from patterns alone or do the patterns have any significance, from specie to specie.

Thanks for the inputs, FrogEyes :happy:

its not clear from the picture's angle, but the dorsal suggest that of Kaloula picta, which can also be found in the neighboring island of Cebu (to where I lived), unless the subject is understudied. :) As you suggested, the species may vary according to their locality.

based from a friend of mine,

Kaloula conjuncta also occurs in Mindanao faunal region which includes Bohol island.

The most recent information, based on dna analysis, suggests that Polypedates leucomystax is an invasive species.

The last photo is certainly not a Sanguirana. Sanguirana's toes are webbed.

OT: Sorry that it seems like I'm flooding the thread posts, tho every post I made is of different intervals.

OnT:

936186_10200304952561077_1253571294_n.jpg

How about this one? this specimen is photographed in banlasan, Palawan Island.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    sera: @Clareclare, +2
    Back