Need some Help!! Worried

T

tjsmom

Hello, I have posted here before but onthe salamander page. I have an American Bullfrog. She has always been well. Today I noticed she has not really moved. She had been sitting on a rock in the water. I got her to move and noticed she had some kinda of film on her. She seems very slow moving. The water is clean filtered and ph correct. She just ate well on crickets two days ago. She also gets wax worms. I just adore my frogs. Her color is beautiful and still looks good. She is not very old. I guess about a year. I have learned alot about the frogs we have never had any problems till this one. I would hate to lose her!! Thanks for any help.

How's the tempurature? It's hibernation time at my house, maybe it's just the frog's biological clock telling it that it's time to hibernate but the conditions aren't right. Thats just a guess, somebody else might know more on the subject.

Kiley, it is mid winter. She has been in doors since last july. i did change her substrate and went to topsoil. She is in a 55 gallon with land and water. She lives with a northern red-legged. They have lived together since October or so. The red-legged is fine. Thanks for the response.

Hello,
There are multiple possible issues here, but the first question I would ask is when was the last time the frog shed? Its possible the frog is approaching a shed (Usually only a day or two to look off color).
ALso if the temps are low then there will be more inactivity.
Are you supplementing the frogs food with a good calcium and vitamin supplement? Bullfrogs are very prone to metabolic bone disease and may never fully recover from it and almost always require extensive vet care to get better.
If nothing else changes there may be a septicemia and this is best detected by a vet.
And Finally, please seperate the red-legged frog from the bullfrog. As soon as teh bullfrog is big enough he will eat the red-legged frog. Bullfrogs are contributing to the decline of red and yellow legged frogs in the wild.
Ed

Hi, Thanks so much. I really have never noticed the shed. I do supplement. I do have them in my house so cold is not a factor. Her color seems fine but she is just hanging in the water not on the rocks. She doesn't seem any fatter, either. The vet in my area is only in twice a week. I have found limited info on bullfrogs. If there is some good places to look I would appreciate it. Also the two frogs are the same size. I am aware of the decline. They seem to enjoy each other (silly as it sounds) they sit at night together, sharing the same rock. Both are pretty tame.The red-legged is missing an eye and several toes, we rescued her from a pet store. I do however keep them fed well. Here is a thought.Do frogs overeat? Thanks a bunch and will be checking back. I am really attached to her.

yes frogs do overeat...as we say it they have eyes bigger than thier stomach

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    sera: @Clareclare, +2
    Back