New member - red eft questions

kpcole

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi! I have a little red eft named Moss that my kids brought home at the beginning of July. Not sure what happens in the winter - will he hibernate? Will he need to be fed while hibernating? Should I change his environment in some way (he currently lives in a big glass bowl with natural moss, leaf litter, bark, and an orchid for color). I've been feeding him with earthworms from the yard, but won't be able to do that in the winter (we live in VT). Any help is appreciated!

Hi! I have a little red eft named Moss that my kids brought home at the beginning of July. Not sure what happens in the winter - will he hibernate? Will he need to be fed while hibernating? Should I change his environment in some way (he currently lives in a big glass bowl with natural moss, leaf litter, bark, and an orchid for color). I've been feeding him with earthworms from the yard, but won't be able to do that in the winter (we live in VT). Any help is appreciated!
Welcome to the forum! I've never kept an eastern newt/red eft before (so take what I say with a grain of salt) but I have kept Alpine newts, and they also hibernate in the winter. In captivity many people, myself included, rarely try to hibernate their pets. You could try but I don't think it's absolutely necessary.
It would help your animal regulate it's internal clock and can be a good way of getting some species to breed but in your case that doesn't seem to be a priority. If you do try to hibernate it, check regularly on it to make sure it doesn't freeze and to see how active it is. Inactive newts shouldn't need to eat much or at all. And lethargic/partially active newts shouldn't need as much food. But always be sure it is in a wet, not frozen habitat.
If you run out of catchable food, you can always buy small invertebrates from a pet store to feed it, or if it likes worms, you can just buy nightcrawlers from any store that sells fishing supplies.
One last tip for getting a quicker response would be to post any questions into its appropriate category on the forum. People (who hopefully have more experience with red efts than me) will see it faster.

I hope this helps, good luck with your pet!

I have some 6 moth old red eft. They do eat the live blackworms that you might get at your local tropical fish store..

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back