Illness/Sickness: Not eating for weeks.

Squirrelgirl

Reaction score
Country
Canada
My little girl is about 6 years old. She’s always been a good eater. Mostly eats pellets. I gave her a piece of cooked shrimp about 4 weeks ago as a treat. She loved it, played with it in her mouth like a worm- tossing her head around etc. After that she tried to play with her pellets (which didn’t work out!). Now, she spits her pellets out. I’ve tried shrimp again - she played with it but ended up spitting it out. Tried worms- same thing. She’s lost weight (thankfully she had extra to start with). I’ve done water changes, run a fan over her water, use ice bottles to keep it cool, and even refrigerated her for a few hours. No change. The only other strange thing is that her toenails have been black for way longer than usual. The last few times she ingested any food, I found it in the tank the next day. Once, a whole piece of shrimp was there- undigested. I bought new, smaller pellets- she spit them out. I don’t know what else to do. Could it be something to do with her ability to swallow the food or digest it? Thanks in advance for any help.

have you tried any frozen block foods ie.. krill, mysis, chopped mussel, chopped cockle, also bloodworm and brineshrimp.
toe wise do you use any type of substrate ie.. sand

I haven't tried any other foods with her but will try one of the ones you suggested however I'm not sure how you actually feed them to the axie...could you please explain? I just drop the pellets down to her - have never actually 'fed' her.
There isn't any substrate in her tank, never has been.
Do you think I should refrigerate her for a longer period of time? I'm really getting concerned about this situation. She seems fine otherwise...

because fridging carries the rest of organ shut down I would never recommend it unless as a last resort.
frozen food will float for a short period then sink to the bottom once defrosted, feed at night as that is when axolotls are active.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    gemmie: Hello I've been looking into axolotls and wasn't sure if it was even legal to get a pet one in... +1
    Back