Notophthalmus viridescens max temperature?

jbaker8484

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm having some issues with keeping my eastern newt tank cool enough. I've read that their temperatures shouldn't go above 75. On hot days, usually when we open the windows in the late afternoon/evening, the water temperature can get up to 75-78 degrees. Never seen it go above 80. This is before I cool the tank down with a floating zip lock bag full of ice which isn't as effective as you would expect.

My question is, how dangerous are above 75 degree temps for an eastern newt? What are the effects of those temps on them?

Any suggestions for cooling the tank? I plan on setting up some mini fans to blow on the water.

I'm also thinking about doing some kind of diy evaporative cooling system for my room because it gets so dang hot in there.

Such temps, even if they survive in the short term, will stress them and make them more susceptible to other diseases, or shorten their life span.

That's a good excuse to get a fan system set up then.
It's also a planted tank which presents even more trouble for heat (lighting).

Forgot to mention it's a 29 gallon long with 3 adult newts.

really don't want to buy a chiller...

The only way to keep a tank cool in that kind of heat is a chiller. Fans blowing on the surface of the water will work, but will only bring the temp down by a couple of degrees at the most.

Floating a frozen water bottle or a bag of ice seems to work fine but it's a chore to do every day. I'll look around and see if I can't find a used chiller for a decent price.

A fan can cool your tank 3-5 degrees. There is a big difference between 75 degrees and newts that are alive and healthy and 78-80 degrees and a tank full of sick or dead newts. I used a box fan blowing over all my tanks this summer. Worked great.

Did you have the fan blowing over the tank or blowing directly onto the water?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • gemmie:
    Hello I've been looking into axolotls and wasn't sure if it was even legal to get a pet one in Australia
    +1
    Unlike
    gemmie: Hello I've been looking into axolotls and wasn't sure if it was even legal to get a pet one in... +1
    Back