Question on behalf of a friend

CJ1981

Reaction score
Country
Wales
Display Name
CJ
Hi,

a friend of mine who has kept fish for years has branched out into keeping frogs.

She has and I quote "2 little greenish ones and a bigger white one", both species appear to be aquatic, she bought them from an aquarium shop and was told they were aquatic and could live happily with each other and with fish.

She originally kept her frogs in with her fish, she is now short a few fish and realised that the frogs were viewing her tank as a buffet. She has moved the frogs into a separate tank and plans on keeping them all together.

I know less than diddly squat about frogs but I do keep axolotls and know that big critters can see little critters as food and that aquarium shops' advice is often pretty ropey. As the white frog appears to be outgrowing the other two at a rather rapid rate I am concerned she may get up one morning to find a chubby white frog and no little greenish ones.

I have advised her to separate the two species and start doing some serious research as to exactly what species they are as at the moment she's referring to them as 'water frogs' as that is what they were labelled as in the shop. She is adamant that the aquarium shop knows best.

Have I given her the right advice? Are there any do's and don'ts I should be letting her know about?

Thanks guys.

Post some pics, the white ones sounds like an african clawed frog, they are often sold as suitable to go with fish then wipe out a community tank. The greenish ones may be the same species but if they are staying smaller could be african dwarf frogs, if so they will be in danger of being a snack in the very near future. For a quick id, check the front feet, if they are webbed they are probably adf, if not webbed they are probably acf. If she wishes to rehome them pm me, I keep both species and will be visiting swansea to collect some tanks from a friend, I have endlers and cherry shrimp to swap, restock her tank lol.

I'll try and get some pictures. I've just given her another tank to put the white one in and will have a look at their feet next time I'm over her house.

She's still adamant they are Water Frogs and that the shop knows best, no telling some people!

Thanks for the rehoming offer. If it comes to that I have space for them.

The level of knowledge about aquatic frogs displayed by most pet shops is inadequate to say the least. Incidentally I will have a fine selection of african clawed froglets at both the SWARE and BAKs shows......

Re:MY FIRST POSTING

I have 2 male african pigmy frogs. One has acities the other is ok. Any ideas on how to treat this? The frog that is ok jumps on the back of the other one and holds him on the bottom. Will not let him go so he cannot go up for air. This is a new behavior. Any thoughts on what is going on or what to do about it?

African clawed frogs will eat anything that it can fit into its mouth. It's that simple.

Re: MY FIRST POSTING

The frog that is ok jumps on the back of the other one and holds him on the bottom. Will not let him go so he cannot go up for air. This is a new behavior. Any thoughts on what is going on or what to do about it?
It is breeding behavor, dont worry about it.

Thanks for the reply. I have had these for about 8 months and i know they are 2 males and this never happened until the one developed the fluid in the abdomen. Do male frogs mount other males? Sometimes he gets him in a head lock. I am afraid he will dround him.

Thanks for the reply. I have had these for about 8 months and i know they are 2 males and this never happened until the one developed the fluid in the abdomen. Do male frogs mount other males? Sometimes he gets him in a head lock. I am afraid he will dround him.

They are not fussy, male on male amplexing is not uncommon. I have seen UK frogs amplexing goldfish.......

Any idea on how to treat the fluid or acities in the belly of my african pigmy frog? He is real active and is still eating good.

I am quite positive. It has the white spots or glands behind the front legs. The females seem to be more of an almond shape. I can see the fluid between the organs and outer skin so i am sure it is acities.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    sera: @Clareclare, +2
    Back