Red Spots on Axolotl

proberge

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey Everyone,
My 7-inch GFP is starting to develop red dots all over its body but mostly on its legs. I have done a water change two days ago but I will try to test my parameters once I get some free time. The tank is a 40 gal and has been cycled before adding the axolotl in. Nothing seems off still very active and very eager to eat. I am not sure what could be the cause of this if anyone has had this happen before.

Attachments

• IMG_1627.jpeg
    IMG_1627.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 330
  • IMG_1625.jpeg
    IMG_1625.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1624.jpeg
    IMG_1624.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 44
Hey Everyone,
My 7-inch GFP is starting to develop red dots all over its body but mostly on its legs. I have done a water change two days ago but I will try to test my parameters once I get some free time. The tank is a 40 gal and has been cycled before adding the axolotl in. Nothing seems off still very active and very eager to eat. I am not sure what could be the cause of this if anyone has had this happen before.
The only thing that changes is the temperature of the tank. My setup does not have a chiller but I have ordered one and should be here this week the tank temp likes to fluctuate from 66-68 throughout the day. Would this be part of the problem?

Levels from just now

Attachments

• IMG_1629.jpeg
    IMG_1629.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 33
high temperature can cause rash type symptoms but so can other causes, 15°c/59°f - 18°c/64°f being ideal 15°c/59°f being best.
what is your ph, kh gh if possible.
what is the ammonia prior to a water change.
add 2g/l salt to the tank, if after a week with salt addition and reduced temperature the rash isn't reduce or has spread consider seeing a vet for antibiotics.

high temperature can cause rash type symptoms but so can other causes, 15°c/59°f - 18°c/64°f being ideal 15°c/59°f being best.
what is your ph, kh gh if possible.
what is the ammonia prior to a water change.
add 2g/l salt to the tank, if after a week with salt addition and reduced temperature the rash isn't reduce or has spread consider seeing a vet for antibiotics.
Here are my Ph test results from just now I don’t have access to a Kh Gh test right now I probably could get one later tomorrow.

The ammonia before the water change was at zero same with nitrite but my nitrate was 20-40ppm.

I was able to reduce my tank temperature to 61 last night and it seems to be doing better. I am considering putting her in the fridge until I can get my chiller to keep at a consistent low temp. If I do this how would I keep my cycle alive in the 40gallon tank. I don’t have any more pure ammonia to dose. If I added some fish flakes and axolotl pellets would that be sufficient until I put her back in? Also what salt do you recommend I will plan on doing that while she is tubbed.

Attachments

• IMG_1630.jpeg
    IMG_1630.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 22
because of the risks posed by fridging I would never recommend doing so unless it is a last resort.
if you have any ammoniium chloride left over from cycling it can be used as filter food (less messy), another way would be to empty tank half way and then just put the waste water from the tubs in.
non-iodised salt needs to be used (iodine is very bad for axolotls) the can be marine, sea, rock ie.. halite, himalayan (not to pink or dark, the pinker/darker it is the higher the iron content).

because of the risks posed by fridging I would never recommend doing so unless it is a last resort.
if you have any ammoniium chloride left over from cycling it can be used as filter food (less messy), another way would be to empty tank half way and then just put the waste water from the tubs in.
non-iodised salt needs to be used (iodine is very bad for axolotls) the can be marine, sea, rock ie.. halite, himalayan (not to pink or dark, the pinker/darker it is the higher the iron content).
Thank you for the advice I pulled him out of the tank and placed into a big tub and put in a cold room and with the tub temp at 64 degrees. I’ve also did 2, 15 minute salt baths and it already seems to be clearing up. I’ll continue to tub and salt bath until the chiller arrives where so I can get the temp set at 64 on the main tank.

Hey Everyone,
Aeromonas hydrophila, one of the "red leg" bacteria, is one the most common diseases that axolotls can suffer. It is septicemic, i.e. it can be widespread in the body because it is carried by the blood. Common symptoms are red patches on the limbs and parts of the body.

Treating “red-leg” syndrome will depend on the underlying cause of the disease. For example, if it is due to the Aeromonas hydrophila bacterium, your veterinarian will prescribe antibiotics for the amphibian. Follow the guidelines set by your veterinarian to get optimum results.

Aeromonas hydrophila, one of the "red leg" bacteria, is one the most common diseases that axolotls can suffer. It is septicemic, i.e. it can be widespread in the body because it is carried by the blood. Common symptoms are red patches on the limbs and parts of the body.

Treating “red-leg” syndrome will depend on the underlying cause of the disease. For example, if it is due to the Aeromonas hydrophila bacterium, your veterinarian will prescribe antibiotics for the amphibian. Follow the guidelines set by your veterinarian to get optimum results.
My tank likes to fluctuate because of poor insulation of my apartment and being winter running the heat in the day time which will bring the tank up to 68 during the day and 66 at night. The chiller arrived today so I will be setting that up this weekend to keep a consistent temp.

Things look to be doing a lot better after doing this last salt bath most to all of the red dots have gone away completely not sure if it was due to fluctuating temp or if the salt bath killed any bacteria that was on the skin.

A couple more things since being in the tub she is refusing any of her favorite food not sure if it’s due to stress or if she is actually a female that is absorbing eggs since she does look a lot fatter then normal. After tubbing I have noticed a bunch of sand with poop is this safe if it’s still passing Or should I consider going to a bare bottom tank.

Attachments

• IMG_1642.jpeg
    IMG_1642.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1646.jpeg
    IMG_1646.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1645.jpeg
    IMG_1645.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1637.jpeg
    IMG_1637.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 30
the sand passing through is fine, it just means that at some point sand was ingested along with food, it is only a concern if a large amount has been consumed and has clumped up and is unable to be passed.
try feeding other food items ie... bloodworm, krill, brineshrimp, mysis, cockle, mussel, prawns, fish, shrimp etc..
from the photo's she does look female although can't be positive without view of cloaca.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back