FYI: Seachem Stability Fishless Cycle Log

Xoli

Reaction score
Country
Mexico
Ok, so I am a complete noob at having an aquarium of any kind. So when my wife and I decided on getting an axolotl we had no idea what was in store! But we've managed to keep Xoli happy and healthy for the most part, and it's so work seeing that cute face seem to light up when it sees us (obviously because it thinks it might get some food).

Anyway, I didn't know about cycling a tank and found SO MUCH confusing information on the matter that it was overwhelming just figuring out how to start. To help me in this process I decided to keep a simple log. I have decided to do a fishless cycle on my 10 gallon tank using Seachem's Stability product (a jump-starting element that says will rapidly establish the good bacteria needed in the tank).
I will confess that first I tried doing a fishless cycle without Stability, but got very frustrated very quickly when I couldn't get the ammonia up by just putting food and Xoli's poop into the tank. So now here we are.

I am actually already on my third day in this cycle and decided to start logging when I saw my first sign of nitrites ever (today)!!! But I will post my first two doses individually for clarity's sake.

STARTING POINT:
10 gallon tank (20in x 10in),
Filled with dechlorinated tap water (using Seacham Prime),
Sponge filter (for up to 10 gallons),
One large slate tile, and one smaller slate tile as substrate,
Mopane log,
Java fern,
Anubia Nana rooted in fine sand within glass pod,
two small terracotta plates,
Seachem ammonia alert which I will return because it is not accurate at all!

Checking water parameters daily using API freshwater Master test kit.
Seachem Stability,
Pure ammonia and a dropper to apply it.

I have the hood on to keep the water warm, which I hear helps the bacteria work more efficiently. The light was on for the pic, but I have kept it off to limit UV exposure, this I hear is bad for the bacteria (I hope my plants can hold on during this process!).

WISH ME LUCK!!!

Attachments

• 20130323_201946.jpg
    20130323_201946.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 1,565
Day 1

So like I stated before I am posting the first two doses after-the-fact. I bought and applied Seachem stability on the 21st (two days ago). I have a ten gallon tank filled with clean dechlorinated water. Though it is currently only holding 7 gallons of water I decided to dose according to the 10 gallons to make my life simpler. The product directions instruct to apply 5mL of Stability for each 10 gallons on the first day. I did this.

Parameters Day 1:
Ph: 7.6
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0

Temp: 79-85 f

Dose Seachem Stability 5 mL (1 capful)

Attachments

• 20130323_204656.jpg
    20130323_204656.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 705
Day 2

So on the second day cycling I realized that I probably needed to introduce some ammonia into the tank for Stability to work. The product itself doesn't directly state that this is necessary, though they imply it I guess when they suggest introducing fish or other aquatic species at any time during the 7 day process.

So before adding the ammonia the readings were the same as the day before. Then I added drops of ammonia until raising it to 2.0 (about 15 drops).

Parameter Day 2 (after applying pure ammonia)
Ammonia: 2.0

Temp: 79-85 f

Dose Seachem Stability 2.5 mL (Directions say to use a capful for each 20 gallons, so I used 1/2 capful for my 10 gallons)

Day 3

OK so now we're up to date. Today I checked the parameters before adding another dose of Stability. And I finally saw some Nitrite! :D
Afterwards, I dosed the stability and didn't add more ammonia.

Parameter Day 2
Ammonia: 2.0 (or maybe less but not 1.0)
Nitrite: .25 ppm

Temp: 85 f

Dose Seachem Stability 2.5 mL (Directions say to use a capful for each 20 gallons, so I used 1/2 capful for my 10 gallons)

Attachments

• 20130323_200036.jpg
    20130323_200036.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 1,045
Day 4

Got some more Nitrite today, it shot up to 1.0! No Nitrate yet. The ammonia had a bit less blue (so it was more yellow) but still not completely 1.0.

Parameter Day 4
Ammonia: Between 2.0 - 1.0
Nitrite: 1.0 ppm

Temp: 82 f

Attachments

• 20130324_192930.jpg
    20130324_192930.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 647
Re: Day 4

It's working well. If I need to cycle another tank I think I'll try this stuff! :happy:

It's working well. If I need to cycle another tank I think I'll try this stuff! :happy:

If you already have a tank just steal media from your established filter & jump start the new tank - I've started 2 4ft tanks & with established filter used in one & some gravel (guppy tank) & media from established tank both did not show any nitrite at all - just straight to nitrates :) settled & cycled in 2 days - waited for bacteria to build up levels on surfaces but for the most it was easy & painless.

<3 >o_o< <3

Day 5

First time seeing some Nitrates!!! Have some orange though I don't think it's quite as orange as the 5.0 example. The ammonia went down some more, closer to 0.5. The nitrite is now over 2.0. It's hard to tell because the difference between 2.0 and 5.0 on the color chart is almost indiscernible. So it's anywhere between 2.0 and 5.0. Either way it's obvious that it has gone up from the last testing (Day 4).

Parameter Day 5
Ammonia: 0.5
Nitrite: 2.0-5.0
Nitrate: >5.0

Temp: 82 f

Attachments

• 20130325_211449.jpg
    20130325_211449.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 480
If you already have a tank just steal media from your established filter & jump start the new tank - I've started 2 4ft tanks & with established filter used in one & some gravel (guppy tank) & media from established tank both did not show any nitrite at all - just straight to nitrates :) settled & cycled in 2 days - waited for bacteria to build up levels on surfaces but for the most it was easy & painless.

Yea, I hope I don't have to wait so long, having Xoli in a smaller tub again. I've read that taking from an established tank is the best way to cycle a new tank, but I didn't have access to one. I decided to use this product only because I was so frustrated with trying the fishless cycle with food. Things seem to be going well, and I'll be grateful to have Xoli in a safe tank even if it takes longer than the product claims (7 days). Let's see what happens tomorrow :D

Day 6

Ammonia went all the way down to .25 today, and the nitrite is still a bright violet, to 5.0. Nitrates are up, to 5.0. I dosed another 5 drops of pure ammonia to bring the ammonia back up, hoping it will go down more rapidly than the first dose.

Parameter Day 6
Ammonia: 0.25
Nitrite: 5.0
Nitrate: 5.0

Temp: 79 f

Day 7

I dosed the tank with more ammonia yesterday, so it read 1.0. Today it went down to less than .5, so I guess that means the ammonia is going down at a faster rate. The nitrites are still up there and the Nitrates have gone up to but not quite to 10ppm yet. So still chugging along. On a side note, my java fern is not doing great, since I've left the top-light off to protect the bacteria from UV. Does anyone know if it's safe to use a 19watt bulb while cycling?

Parameter Day 7
Ammonia: .25-0.5
Nitrate: 5.0

Temp: 81 f

Attachments

• 20130328_001630.jpg
    20130328_001630.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 710
Day 8

Barely any ammonia in today's reading. The nitrite is still not going down so I dosed the tank with more ammonia for another round (back to 1). Nitrate is near 10ppm, so that's still going up. I think I'll start giving the plants some light, see if it affects the bacterial growth in any way. So far, so good. :D

Parameter Day 8
Ammonia: >.25
Nitrate: 10

Temp: 83 f

Attachments

• 20130328_215735.jpg
    20130328_215735.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 614
Day 9

So the ammonia is going down within 24 hours now, and the Nitrite seems to be bluer, so I think that means it's starting to go down to 2.0. Nitrates are still between 10-20ppm. I dosed with ammonia and with Stability. But now I wonder if I should stop adding Stability and allow the bacteria already introduced to establish the cycle. Any tips?

Parameter Day 8
Ammonia: <.25
Nitrite: 2.0-5.0
Nitrate: 10-20

Temp: 80 f

Attachments

• 20130329_224711.jpg
    20130329_224711.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 643
Day 10

:( So I've realized that having the light off was not a great idea, brown algae has started to spread throughout my tank. So, I decided to do 25% water changes to clean that out, and am now leaving the lights on. Now the readings are probably going to stall (but hopefully continue to progress). Anyway, I think that if I keep a log of this frustrating stage that will probably ensue I'll just drive myself insane and not really help anyone else out. So this will probably be my last log, but I'll come back when everything is finally cycled and Xoli is safe and sound in the tank. Wish me luck!

Good luck with Xoli :)

I followed the saga of your cycling with interest & am not sure you really gained much from the stability.

Hope the cycle stabilizes soon :)

<3 >o_o< <3

Cycle Complete!

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to let everyone know that Xoli's tank is cycled. I put Xoli in and will be monitoring the water stats daily. So far, so good. It took a month and I guess that is normal without any bacterial product, but I still don't know where the good bacteria would come from without the Seachem Stability. Anyway, I wasn't trying to advertise the product, I just wanted to keep a log and that's what I decided to use to introduce beneficial bacteria. The brown algae is gone, though I learned it's normal in new tanks and it doesn't harm axolotls. Xoli seems happy being in a bigger space, I've added some pics.

Final Parameter
Ammonia: 0
Nitrate: 5

Temp: 66 f

Thanks everyone for following and as usual, for your advice.

Attachments

• 20130413_194158.jpg
    20130413_194158.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 1,449
  • 20130413_194353.jpg
    20130413_194353.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 606
  • 20130413_214556.jpg
    20130413_214556.jpg
    374.8 KB · Views: 678
So happy that you posted this and that Xoli is loving his tank! I'm going through the thrills and spills of cycling myself so this has shown me roughly what to expect.

Thanks for posting! :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    gemmie: Hello I've been looking into axolotls and wasn't sure if it was even legal to get a pet one in... +1
    Back