Should I remove my newts?

bhoogerheide

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,

New here, I have two eastern red spotted newts. I've had them since October of 2023. I got them as efts, and they are now both showing adult colors. I moved them from a 10 gallon terrestrial tank to a 40 gallon aquatic tank with about 12 inches of water, heavily planted, with many plants at the surface, branches and docking areas. One of them has been fully aquatic for about 3 months, and the other one won't touch the water. The aquatic adult newt eats black worms and the terrestrial adult eats dusted crickets.

Since the one newt went fully aquatic, I've only seen her on land maybe twice, and for very short periods of time. We also have schools of micro fish in the aquarium. About 28 fish total. All docile fish; tetras, dwarf danios, endlers, and some snails and shrimp. The aquatic newt has been co-habiting with the fish very well, up until this week. The endlers we added are a new addition this week, and I'm worried it pushed the newt over the edge, in terms of stress. She went from never being on land, to being curled up next to the other one for the majority of the time under some bark. To the best of my (little) knowledge, they are both female.

I feel I can logically rule out other stressors besides the fish. The tank is unheated, the water parameters and temperatures are very good, as the fish are sensitive to changes. Zero nitrates, the water is de-chlorinated. They get 8 hours of light. There has been no change in diet, he's been eating fine. And every other animal in the tank pays no attention to the newt. I have never seen the other tank mates have any aggression towards the newt. And neither newt shows any physical signs of illness, no flaky skin, change in eating habits, or spots/lesions.

So my question is, should I convert the old 10 gallon terrestrial tank into a "newts only" terrarium? My ultimate goal was to get both newts eating black worms and being fully aquatic. I worry that with one newt already rejecting the water, that they're regressing and I will have to move them back to land. The last thing I want is for stress to get the better of anyone in the tank and lose them.

What is the temperature of the water? Besides nitrate, did you check for ammonia and nitrite?

What is the temperature of the water? Besides nitrate, did you check for ammonia and nitrite?
Not 100% sure in water temperature, we keep the house at 68° so it shouldn’t be too warm. I usually do weekly 20% water changes and I replenish the water with water in the mid 60s. Everything came back within tolerance on last water test I had done. She’s been fully out of the water for almost two days now. Thankfully she’s a very healthy weight so I’m not concerned yet about her not eating.

Not 100% sure in water temperature, we keep the house at 68° so it shouldn’t be too warm. I usually do weekly 20% water changes and I replenish the water with water in the mid 60s. Everything came back within tolerance on last water test I had done. She’s been fully out of the water for almost two days now. Thankfully she’s a very healthy weight so I’m not concerned yet about her not eating.
yeah the water temp should be ok then.

I would do another test on ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate to be sure. If you can you should do one for GH, KH, and pH as well. You’ve got a good size tank but you’ve also got a good number of animals. The fish you added recently might have pushed the bio filter off the edge.

It could as you say also be just stress from so many animals. It’s usually advised against to keep newts together with fish. But I also know for sure people have done it with no problems. But you should definitely think about decreasing the number of animals in there.

I would do another test on ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate to be sure. If you can you should do one for GH, KH, and pH as well. You’ve got a good size tank but you’ve also got a good number of animals. The fish you added recently might have pushed the bio filter off the edge.

It could as you say also be just stress from so many animals. It’s usually advised against to keep newts together with fish. But I also know for sure people have done it with no problems. But you should definitely think about decreasing the number of animals in there.
Sounds like a plan, I live near a store that can do extensive water testing, I'll bring a sample there and see whats up. Thank you for the advice, I'll update with the outcome.

IMG_3847.jpeg

Water test results.
Ammonia .4
Nitrite .1
Nitrate 1
Gh 7
KH 4
Ph 7.3
If the newt continues to stay out of the water until the end of the week, I may try moving them to their own tank.

View attachment 98235
Water test results.
Ammonia .4
Nitrite .1
Nitrate 1
Gh 7
KH 4
Ph 7.3
If the newt continues to stay out of the water until the end of the week, I may try moving them to their own tank.
The 0.4 ammonia and little bit of nitrite could definitely be doing it. The bio filter in your tank was probably not able to keep up with the bio load with the recent addition of fish. I’d do a partial water change now to bring down the ammonia a little.

You can move the newts to your 10 gallon. A 10 gallon aquatic tank will be fine for a pair of eastern newts. The thing is you’ll have to cycle that new tank, and your newts will be exposed to ammonia, etc anyways. You can also just move them into the 10 gal terrestrially for now until you got another tank cycled or until you got the 40 gal’s bio filter more capable of handling the bio load.

I haven’t kept newts with fish so I can’t really comment much on it. But it is generally advised against. Shrimp and snails should be fine though.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    sera: @Clareclare, +2
    Back