Suggested Letter Format/How to compose your letter(s)

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Display Name
John Clare
Before we begin writing
(Senator Contact Info/How to Contact Senators)
  1. You are writing to the senators to try to make the amendment to the Lacey Act reasonable and to ensure that there is oversight/controls on how it can and can't be used. We want to influence how the amendment is worded so that it is reasonable and doesn't give unchecked power to USFWS.
  2. Don't just tell them you don't want the amendment to pass - that's not an option.
  3. Our primary goal is to prevent a total ban on interstate transport of newts and salamanders. We do this by using the talking points (linked in number 9 below).
  4. If you only write one letter, write to the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee (EPW) and use their address (scroll down) on your envelope and in the letter.
  5. Include your return mailing address on the envelope and on the letter itself.
  6. Personalize your letter as much as possible - explain briefly who you are, what interest you have in these animals, what they mean to you, your children, etc. Don't tell your life story if possible, but if the committee can see that these animals are important to you, bring you fulfillment, joy, etc., that can make a difference.
  7. Don't get very emotional - it's important not to "rant" at senators ;).
  8. Try to stay on point.
  9. Consult the Writing/Talking Points: Writing/Talking Points for Senate Letters
  10. This is a suggested format, but you don't have to write exactly as I suggest below - this is just to help get you started.
How to format the letter to the committee (modified version of this). If you are writing to the senators of your state and they are not on the committee, please address it to them directly (if both are not on the committee then you can put them both on the same letter). Contact info for your state's 2 senators can be found here.
Your Full Name
555 Your Street
Your City, ME 01112

March 17, 2021

Committee on Environment and Public Works
United States Senate
Washington, D.C. 20510

Dear Senators:

Paragraph 1 – Introduce yourself and state the purpose of the letter.
For example: My name is Joe D. Public and I am writing to you regarding S.626 - A bill to amend title 18, United States Code, to enhance protections against the importation, and transport between States, of injurious species, and for other purposes. At the time of my writing to you, this is an amendment to the Lacey Act that is in process in the Committee on Environmental and Public Works.

Paragraph 2 – State the position supported. Use supporting examples and facts.
For example: At the time of writing, I understand that the amendment text has not been published. However, I ask the committee to consider placing careful limitations and oversight of the United States Fish and Wildlife Service's implementation of the law in the final amendment. I ask this because of the attempted 2016 interstate transport ban of newts and salamanders by the USFWS, based on the agency's classification of the animals as injurious (including many native species), and how this would affect my hobby and educating the children at my school. The following are my concerns and reasoning.
NOW INSERT TALKING POINTS AND PERSONALIZE WHERE APPROPRIATE AND AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE

Paragraph 3 – Describe any action requested. Ask for the senator to respond saying what he/she intends to do.
For example: In summary, I ask that the committee consider including reasonable constraints and/or oversight in the amendment in order to maintain this hobby and access to our native fauna for our school children by ensuring that interstate transport of these animals remains possible, albeit with any appropriate testing certificates.

Sincerely yours,

Your Full Name
Make sure you proofread your letters before sending it/them!!!!

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back