Underweight axolotls?

Desirae.T

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all! I just recently adopted two axolotls from someone who was fostering eggs. When I went to pick them up a few of them were upside down and looked really unhealthy. I’ve had my two axolotls for about a week now and I just want to make sure they look okay. I’m worried they’re underweight. Right now I am tubbing them until their 40 gallon tank is ready (I am prepared to get another tank if they end up being different genders) and I am doing WC’s every 12-24 hours depending on how much waste they have. Earlier this week I fed them some Canadian night crawlers (cut up smaller than their heads so they wouldn’t choke) and then they refused to eat for 3 days. They just started eating again on Wednesday (bloodworms). But they’re not eating a cube per day like other forums recommend. It seems that they’re eating until they’re full because they will refuse food after 10 or so blood worms (I end up feeding them 3x a day since they’re not eating many at once). I believe they are young juveniles too, they’re about 3.5 inches long. I posted some pictures too that show how they look. Long story short, do they look underweight and what are some tips to get them healthy? Thank you so much in advance!
P.S the one picture with waste around the axolotl has been cleaned, I do water changes after feeding so I can track if they’re pooping.

Here is Mochi and Buoy

Attachments

• IMG_7309.jpeg
    IMG_7309.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 406
  • IMG_7307.jpeg
    IMG_7307.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 34
Last edited:
at their size/age they will require live food as they will be movement orientated, make sure it is a balanced diet (eyed food ie.. brineshrimp etc.. as well as worms).
if they were found in the wild and are axolotls (ambystoma mexicanum) and were not found in mexico then local authorities may need to be notified due to being an invasive species.

at their size/age they will require live food as they will be movement orientated, make sure it is a balanced diet (eyed food ie.. brineshrimp etc.. as well as worms).
if they were found in the wild and are axolotls (ambystoma mexicanum) and were not found in mexico then local authorities may need to be notified due to being an invasive species.
I'm not sure why you think they might have been found in the wild, but based on her state, if these were found in the wild and are ambystoma of any other variety, they are not allowed to be kept as pets without a license. Ambystoma Mexicanum is the only mole salamander allowed to be kept in Virginia without a license.

I'm not sure why you think they might have been found in the wild, but based on her state, if these were found in the wild and are ambystoma of any other variety, they are not allowed to be kept as pets without a license. Ambystoma Mexicanum is the only mole salamander allowed to be kept in Virginia without a license.
original post is edited

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back