Question: What does Axolotl poop look like

tc1

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi there! I was wondering if anyone could tell me what axo poop should look like. I have had our axolotl for two weeks now and I have not found anything in the tank that resembles poo. I do have large (1-2 inch) stones on the bottom of the tank which could be hiding it.
I am in the process of setting up a bigger tank for him at the moment with sand as the main substrate which should make it easier to spot.
Also how often should he poo. He is 19cm long with dark toenails and the 'dirty' feet look indicating that he is sexually mature so I suppose around 8-12 months old. (The pet shop that I purchased him from could not tell me how old he was and said it was very hard to find out :confused:) He eats every second or third day.
Thanks to anyone who can offer some advice!!!

it looks like dirt, if you catch him when he just "delivered" it's like a piece of dirt, somehow like a normal poop of any animal, but after a while it fades and dissolves... something like that...

I am unsure of how often they poop, mine eats everyday and poops maybe once a week....

it looks like a brown mini goatskin water bottles. And it is very liquidy if you were to try to poke it, it may burst. My axolotl used to trample on it after he's done pooping it out, the other used to eat it.

You can tell the axolotl wants to poop because its gills go all red and you can see their posture. I've seen them poop and they kinda just fire it like a torpedo lol.

LOL...in a weird kinda way it would be interesting to actually catch him in the act. After posting my question, a few hours later I noticed some brown poo looking stuff on the bottom of the tank. Gulp them proceeded to sit on it...oooohhhhh yukky!

I hardly ever see poop in the tank!

I've had the 2 boys 5-6 weeks, and i've only seen & cleaned up maybe 5-6 poops.

Water sits on 18-20 celcius, and they get fed every second day. They are putting on weight and size, so i reckon i'm feeding them enough, but i hardly ever see a poop! I check every day, and make sure i move the tank furniture so i dont miss any sitting in a nook or cranny.

Neither of them show any signs whatsoever of impaction or any other problems

Based on the research i've done, i estimate my boys should be pooping once a week or so. That means i've had 5-6 poops go missing?

i'm thinking that one of them might actually be eating it before i can find it

So, a bit gross, but if they eat it before i see it, and it's not doing them any harm.....not much i can do about it.

Well blackdog, I suppose if they are eating it then it is less for you to clean up!

This turd is about 2.5 cm long.
20210122_202109.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    gemmie: Hello I've been looking into axolotls and wasn't sure if it was even legal to get a pet one in... +1
    Back