Where did all the eastern newt posts go?

C

Cliygh and Mia

Why is nobody posting about eastern newts anymore? I am considering purchasing some?

My personal opinion is because these are a tricky speices to keep happy and healthy. I'd love some efts as much as the next guy but I had 6 adult notos that all died within 6 months (granted these were all bought at a local petshop rather than a noteworthy breeder). I hear it's tricky coming across CB Notos… If you do find some please share as I'd love to have some out here in Utah.

I have to agree. I had tried keeping them multiple times with no luck. Despite perfect conditions they never survived long. I now keep peninsular newts though, and I have had them for some years now and they have been doing very well. They are all healthy and quite active, so if you are interested in the Notos group I would recommend looking into them.

They have not bred for me. I had seen courtship behavior a couple times but I have not tried to breed them myself. I am considering breeding them though. Mine are doing quite well and there is not an abundance of captive bred peninsular newts so I am looking into it now. I need to do more research on how to breed them though. I would likely raise them until they are efts, then offer them for sale.

There does not seem to be a ton of information on how to actually get the newts to breed. Otterwoman what do you use as a reference when breeding species?

They have not bred for me. I had seen courtship behavior a couple times but I have not tried to breed them myself. I am considering breeding them though. Mine are doing quite well and there is not an abundance of captive bred peninsular newts so I am looking into it now. I need to do more research on how to breed them though. I would likely raise them until they are efts, then offer them for sale.

This species skips the eft stage, goes aquatic almost instantly after loosing gills

This species skips the eft stage, goes aquatic almost instantly after loosing gills

The species doesn't actually skip the eft stage, it's still a juvenile newt -just an aquatic one. They are very easy to breed and once the juveniles return to aquatic life, as in most species, grow very rapidly, often breeding within their first year. I have a friend in Italy who is particularly successful with this subspecies.

There does not seem to be a ton of information on how to actually get the newts to breed. Otterwoman what do you use as a reference when breeding species?

Here you go:

Caudata Culture Species Entry - Notophthalmus viridescens - Eastern Newt

My N. v.v. group bred twice. A winter cooling period was really all that was needed to trigger them into breeding behavior. Their tank was in our living room at the time and only got to maybe 54F at its coolest. Peninsular Newts could potentially need even less of a drop in temperature to condition for breeding.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back