White stuff on axolotls gills

Cooperh02

Reaction score
Country
United States
can someone help please? I got home from work to find my axolotl has this gunk on his gills! I have no clue what it is but he’s like thrashing around trying to get it.

Attachments

• C2A63A5C-BCE9-4FCD-91B9-4A917837888A.jpeg
    C2A63A5C-BCE9-4FCD-91B9-4A917837888A.jpeg
    233.2 KB · Views: 837
  • 27B2D1BB-A47C-472E-AA35-2E5358AACDE3.jpeg
    27B2D1BB-A47C-472E-AA35-2E5358AACDE3.jpeg
    242.1 KB · Views: 115
can someone help please? I got home from work to find my axolotl has this gunk on his gills! I have no clue what it is but he’s like thrashing around trying to get it.
looks like a touch of fungus.
you will in all likely hood need to salt bath read Salt bath Picture Tutorial for how to.
to prevent re-occurrences after treatment use 2g marine salt per litre in any water that your axolotl is kept in.
check your ph and temperature.

Fungus grows in cold water. Because axolotls are cold water amphibians, they are susceptible to fungal infections. Some have weaker immune systems too. If you haven't already, add holtfreters solution to your tank too. If you have other axolotls in this tank, you'll need to quarantine him to prevent spread. It is not necessarily always a water parameter issue, but it's also recommended you check the water parameters too when this happens.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • gemmie:
    Hello I've been looking into axolotls and wasn't sure if it was even legal to get a pet one in Australia
    +1
    Unlike
    gemmie: Hello I've been looking into axolotls and wasn't sure if it was even legal to get a pet one in... +1
    Back