United States
Display Name
Tim Johnson
Here are some pics of an A.japonicus breeding facility in western Japan:

17237.jpg

17238.jpg

17239.jpg

Source:
Oosanshouuo no Kawa (River of the Giant Salamanders)
By Masanori Hata, 1986

Aren't they gorgeous little babies! Is this facility still operational? As the article is from '86.

Kaysie, I really don't know. I just got the book from Amazon today and have yet to read it. I'm disappointed as the title is somewhat deceptive. I mean, I had high expectations after reading that it was 352 pages long, but it turns out that only 51 pages are devoted to the author's observations of Andrias japonicus. So I figured, oh well, might as well get some mileage out of it by posting a few pics
biggrin.gif

Are there any observations about the other giants (A. davidianus)? I might have to look into this one. What's your newt-book library look like?

These Tim's pics are things when Mr. Masanori Hata reports the breeding institution of Asa Zoological Park.
Masanori Hata is a writer famous for Japan.
Asa Zoological Park is a zoo in Hiroshima Prefecture known for breeding of Andrias japonicus.
It has succeeded in artificial breeding of A.japonicus for the first time in 1979.
There is a book called "Andrias japonicus" written by the first director, Mr. Jiro Kobara.
treasure
19570.jpg

"Andrias Japonicus"
(Jiro Kobara/1985/ISBN4-88622-220-X)
contents
prologue---Contact
chapter 1--Old research
chapter 2--Real face
chapter 3--Habitat
chapter 4--Field ecology
chapter 5--Breeding action
chapter 6--Breed
chapter 7--The whereabouts of a natural

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • gemmie:
    Hello I've been looking into axolotls and wasn't sure if it was even legal to get a pet one in Australia
    +1
    Unlike
    gemmie: Hello I've been looking into axolotls and wasn't sure if it was even legal to get a pet one in... +1
    Back