Are some axolotls morphs hardier?

brillobee

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I was just wondering if some axolotl morphs are more hardier than others? I've read for other animals, the wild type is the toughest.

not particularly but in my experiance white albinos and lecustics tend to be more sensitive to the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate in the water. But that's anecdotal, and probably has no truth behind it ;)

The axanthic gene is associated with weakness and poor survival when combined with dark colouration and probably weakens albinos somewhat. There doesn't seem to be much difference between the other colour morphs.

I have been told by a few experienced keepers that golden albinos are weaker, this is not a "proven fact" just anecdotal. The only axolotl I lost over the winter in my shed was an adult golden albino, temp went down to 5c in there, I had wild types outside with ice on the tank who seemed happy enough.

I've been told that (German) coppers are quite weak. Not sure if it's true. Anyone who can tell me more about this? I'm curious. I hope my coppers aren't weak :lol:

I'm not as experienced as others here, but my albino and leucistic both got fungus in the warm weather this summer, and neither of my wild types did.

And my albino is the first to tell me that I need to change water - she scratches at her gills if she's not happy.

I'd say wild types are more tolerant of less than perfect environmental conditions, but I wouldn't like to comment on 'hardiness'.

"Hardiness" is more or less connected to genes and the overall health of an animal. While it is true that wild-types are more tolerant of changing conditions, that doesn't always mean they're "hardy", it just means that less things will bother them. Think of it like you would a dog breed. Huskies are a hardy breed because they were bred with more wolf genes than domestic genes. Wolves are a hardy species as well, because they evolved with the genes necessary.

What I'm getting at here, is that if you want a 'hardy' axolotl morph, you'd need a few generations of hardy axolotls, as well as the conditions necessary to keep the animal healthy and strong.

I have been told by a few experienced keepers that golden albinos are weaker, this is not a "proven fact" just anecdotal. The only axolotl I lost over the winter in my shed was an adult golden albino, temp went down to 5c in there, I had wild types outside with ice on the tank who seemed happy enough.
I can attest to that. Never had an issue until I got to breeding. Every female I've had gets a prolapse when it comes to laying eggs.

I always had the most problems with coppers.

I was just wondering if some axolotl morphs are more hardier than others? I've read for other animals, the wild type is the toughest.
Just like all lifeforms, it would stand to reason that the ones with the greatest variation in genes would tend to be the hardiest and most adaptable.
Breeding for aesthetic appeal is all well and good, but it increases the risk of inbreeding or bottlenecking genes.
The wild type, being not selectively bred, would most often be the hardiest form.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    sera: @Clareclare, +2
    Back