Automatic Water Change System

felljd13

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone,

I have been researching automatic water change systems (drip systems), which seem to be pretty popular in the fish community. I wanted to see if anyone had any experience with such a system, pros, cons, etc.

Thanks!

You need to have a drain lower than your tank which is by far the biggest limiting factor. Other than that it's mostly a matter of drilling a tank and setting up the plumbing. Personally I would rather have a semi automatic water change system where initiate the water change all at once rather than a constant drip. Newts are not sensitive enough to need the constant stream of new water and the setup is considerably more challenging if you have city water.

You need to have a drain lower than your tank which is by far the biggest limiting factor. Other than that it's mostly a matter of drilling a tank and setting up the plumbing.
One way to avoid drilling would be to use a peristaltic pump. They have ones specifically meant for auto water changes you can get through marine aquarium supply dealers. They are not cheap though. But if it's a smaller volume of water you want to change, then you can use less expensive pumps. They are kind of neat and allow you to lift the waste water into the tank and into a drain. I'm pondering taking down a marine tank and putting a fire-bellied toad paludarium in it's place, but the peristaltic pump that snakes the waste water through the wall and into a hook up to under a bathroom sink drain... That will stay! :cool:
Personally I would rather have a semi automatic water change system where initiate the water change all at once rather than a constant drip.
I totally agree with this. It's more efficient.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back