Axolotl developing dark spots on stomach

Jlm1978

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi. Our axolotl, Chomps, has recently developed a row of three or four dark spots on his tummy. He is also spinning in circles a lot, like he is trying to bite the spots. Other behavioral changes I’ve noticed is that he has taken to very aggressively digging through his pond stones, coming up for air fairly frequently, and not eating as voraciously - though he isn’t turning down food altogether. His tail and limbs seem - maybe - a little redder, but he typically gets flushed when he is more active, so hopefully that’s all that is.

His water parameters right now are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, about 40 nitrates, around 7.2-7.6 ph, 65 degrees. His substrate is just some big pond stones, too large to swallow, plus his plain tank bottom. We had a modest nitrite spike, so we’d been changing his water every day and adding some prime until it went away.

We’ve been tubbing Chomps at night with a little EM Erythromycin, since his spots looked more like an internal issue than a fungus, and sepsis was our chief concern. But I’m also going to try a tea bath tonight.

I’ll attach some pics. Sorry for the low quality, but hopefully the string of spots on his stomach can be seen. No idea if these are bruises from aggressive digging, infection, fungus, irritation, or something else. But if anyone has advice, we’d be most grateful.

Attachments

• IMG_8087.jpeg
    IMG_8087.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 792
  • IMG_8088.jpeg
    IMG_8088.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_8090.jpeg
    IMG_8090.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 44
give daily methylene blue baths (10-15 mins half fish dose), add 2g/l salt to the water.
ensure adequate water oxygenation, reduce temperature if possible, test kh gh.

Thanks. Will start the baths tonight. Big nitrite surge in his tank last night despite the 0 daytime reading, so I assume the cycle has crashed. Fortunately he spent the night in a separate tub; and we have a second tank just cycled, which we had been preparing for a new axolotl, so it will be Chomps’ new digs while his usual tank reboots. Meanwhile, we’ll tub him, bathe him in methylene blue, and bring him to the vet if the spots aren’t gone by Monday.

Quick update. Chomps is improving! Many thanks for the advice. I also took Chomps to the vet who was very good. After culturing Chomps for fungus, he increased the concentration and duration of the methylene blue baths and also prescribed an antibiotic. Chomps is now eating daily, his brown spots are gone, his energy is up, and he is flaking off his dying fungus. He is in his hospital tub (a 5 gallon tank with an airstone and hide) but seems chill there.

His one issue is the tip of his tail. It was ulcerated and covered in fungus, and it now seems to be healing in a weird bent shape. Wondering if anyone has seen this before and has advice? We return to the vet for a checkup in six days, but if anyone has thoughts before then, we’d greatly appreciate them.

Attachments

• IMG_8139.jpeg
    IMG_8139.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_8140.jpeg
    IMG_8140.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_8141.jpeg
    IMG_8141.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 22
the tail will heal but the chances are that without the damaged piece being removed it will heal crooked.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back