Axolotl on his side

Melina

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Hello!

If you know from my other thread, recently my axolotl went to a vet. He has 1 limb working limb and 2 limbs that he cannot move. This is all handled, he got medicine and his missing leg is sewn. But, when he walks he sometimes falls to his side and he can’t stand up😅. Sometimes he’s even upside down. Of course I help him get up, but now I’m going to sleep and I’m worried that when he decides to walk at night, there won’t be anyone to help him up. Is there any chances he can get hurt while he’s upside down? Can his blood go to his head and he will cross the rainbow bridge? I just don’t really want him to pass away just because he is upside down.

Thanks to any answer!

Hello!

If you know from my other thread, recently my axolotl went to a vet. He has 1 limb working limb and 2 limbs that he cannot move. This is all handled, he got medicine and his missing leg is sewn. But, when he walks he sometimes falls to his side and he can’t stand up😅. Sometimes he’s even upside down. Of course I help him get up, but now I’m going to sleep and I’m worried that when he decides to walk at night, there won’t be anyone to help him up. Is there any chances he can get hurt while he’s upside down? Can his blood go to his head and he will cross the rainbow bridge? I just don’t really want him to pass away just because he is upside down.

Thanks to any answer!
Lower the water level just enough so he can right himself on all fours but still be fully covered by it. Glad to hear he's doing better. I'm not sure if he can die from being on the side or back all night, but it's certainly very stressful.

How's the lotl doing right now?
Nothings really changed. We have to give him medicine daily and he seems to be doing fine. He also slowly starts to move his back legs when you touch them. Sadly we had to force-feed him tho since he resisted to eat ( even the vet told us to try it in case he wouldn’t eat ). We put him in our big tank where all the others are, but we made a glass wall so they can’t bully him or stress him out. Do axolotls have feelings? Cause whenever they see him they want to go there and they always stay near the wall.😅 anyways, he seems like he is understanding now that he has 1 leg to work with and in the past few days he doesn’t even turn upside down… well most of the time. But other than that, he’s doing great!

Thanks for the check-up!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • gemmie:
    Hello I've been looking into axolotls and wasn't sure if it was even legal to get a pet one in Australia
    +1
    Unlike
    gemmie: Hello I've been looking into axolotls and wasn't sure if it was even legal to get a pet one in... +1
    Back