Illness/Sickness: Axolotl tail and legs are up

bkolik

Reaction score
Country
Turkey
Hello,
My axolotls are 5-6 months (11cm).
Melanoid and Leustic.
I change water every week %20 with drinking water.
I have silica sand 0.5mm on base.
Water temprature (17-20 C)
Feed with axolotl pellet (sometimes sea bass)

My melanoid axolotl has a problem probably astringe. Its back legs and tail is up, it can't block this. He is trying to dive but automatic legs and tail rise. He swam all day, never stopped. He is not happy, fluttering. I made massage to his belly, he farted but still legs rise..
Sorry about wrong terms, I wish explain well.

How can I help him?

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_0050.jpeg
    IMG_0050.jpeg
    647.1 KB · Views: 490
  • IMG_0047.jpeg
    IMG_0047.jpeg
    693.4 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
sounds like he has got an air lock, tub in water that is shallow enough that his feet touch the floor, feed at night change water in morning, this is to be done until no longer floating.
make sure that there's a lid on the tub to stop jumping.
ideal tank temperatures should be 15°c-18°c, make sure water is oxygenated.
when using pellets to feed make sure they are either soft or have been soaked before hand.
sand isn't ideal when under 5".

sounds like he has got an air lock, tub in water that is shallow enough that his feet touch the floor, feed at night change water in morning, this is to be done until no longer floating.
make sure that there's a lid on the tub to stop jumping.
ideal tank temperatures should be 15°c-18°c, make sure water is oxygenated.
when using pellets to feed make sure they are either soft or have been soaked before hand.
sand isn't ideal when under 5".
This morning he is fine finally.
Actually water is not shallow about 24cm deeper.
Which size sand is ideal, I will change my tank after they grow

axolotls under 5" can have issues with swallowing sand and getting impacted.
because axolotls can get stressed when floating it is normally recommended to tub them in shallow water until it is resolved.
good to hear he's back to normal.

axolotls under 5" can have issues with swallowing sand and getting impacted.
because axolotls can get stressed when floating it is normally recommended to tub them in shallow water until it is resolved.
good to hear he's back to normal.
I feed him 5 hours ago. Again tail and legs rise...

make sure the water enough, this is to reduce frequent surface gulping.
if the pellets are hard soak them for a while, hard pellets have been known to cause floating.
reduce water temperature, this will help reduce the air that is trapped.
try a different diet.

make sure the water enough, this is to reduce frequent surface gulping.
if the pellets are hard soak them for a while, hard pellets have been known to cause floating.
reduce water temperature, this will help reduce the air that is trapped.
try a different diet.
Yes, I gave hard pellet not soaked. I will give soaked today.

Again same problem, Leustic is normal but melanoid has a problem. Help please.

Attachments

• IMG_0143.jpeg
    IMG_0143.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0144.jpeg
    IMG_0144.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0052.mov
    33.8 MB
Now he is waiting on the top

Attachments

• IMG_0146.jpeg
    IMG_0146.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 59
what type of filter are you using?
have you got an air-stone in the tank?
do a 50% water change rather than 20%.
try to reduce the tanks temperature.
how often are they gulping air.
if your axolotl is prone to floating after eating pellets a change of diet may be required.

what type of filter are you using?
have you got an air-stone in the tank?
do a 50% water change rather than 20%.
try to reduce the tanks temperature.
how often are they gulping air.
if your axolotl is prone to floating after eating pellets a change of diet may be required.
I am using Sponge filter but today ordered external filter (next monday I gonna applicate)
Yesterday I changed %50 water but water is blurred and foggy today. I changed %20 today again with cold ice water.
Generally water temp is 18 but nowadays 20-21 C
(I add some ice for reduce the temp now 16-17c)
Gulping air maybe 2-3 hours period.
They dont float after feeding.

I think so, water is okay because leustic is great.

Now he is under the filter for block his rising.

Attachments

• IMG_0148.jpeg
    IMG_0148.jpeg
    505.1 KB · Views: 53
make sure new filter has plenty of bio-media and leave old filters in tank for a couple of weeks to allow for bacteria transfer, make sure filter inlet is protected with either a shrimp guard or a sponge.
all axolotls will gulp at the surface every now and again but there is an issue if it is every couple of minutes or so, this can be due to low oxygen in the water (always have air-stone in water) or high nitrogen compounds (make sure to test water levels/parameters regularly), they have been known to stay near the surface when the water is too warm, because it is normal to gulp air every now and again (once or twice an hour when active) it can get trapped and cause floating, young axolotls are more prone to floating more than adults due to lack of body mass and isn't uncommon.
hard pellets can cause floating due to the pellets swelling up and acting like a cork stopping any air from being regurgitated.
ensure there are plenty of hides/caves etc.. as axolotls will use these to prevent floating to the surface until the air has passed through it's system (hence your axolotl going under the filter).
when the floating is causing visible stress and inability to correct body posture (nose down tail straight up, on side, on it's back) it is better to place axolotl in a tub (preferably glass pyrex or ceramic) in water shallow enough to allow feet to touch the floor until the air blockage has passed.

make sure new filter has plenty of bio-media and leave old filters in tank for a couple of weeks to allow for bacteria transfer, make sure filter inlet is protected with either a shrimp guard or a sponge.
all axolotls will gulp at the surface every now and again but there is an issue if it is every couple of minutes or so, this can be due to low oxygen in the water (always have air-stone in water) or high nitrogen compounds (make sure to test water levels/parameters regularly), they have been known to stay near the surface when the water is too warm, because it is normal to gulp air every now and again (once or twice an hour when active) it can get trapped and cause floating, young axolotls are more prone to floating more than adults due to lack of body mass and isn't uncommon.
hard pellets can cause floating due to the pellets swelling up and acting like a cork stopping any air from being regurgitated.
ensure there are plenty of hides/caves etc.. as axolotls will use these to prevent floating to the surface until the air has passed through it's system (hence your axolotl going under the filter).
when the floating is causing visible stress and inability to correct body posture (nose down tail straight up, on side, on it's back) it is better to place axolotl in a tub (preferably glass pyrex or ceramic) in water shallow enough to allow feet to touch the floor until the air blockage has passed.
I will try all your advice, thank you for all thing.
I will notice you again.

Please watch this videos, I am very worried. But he is eating no problem. Today I applicate external filter, water is very clear now. Today 6th day about this situation.

Attachments

• IMG_0181.mov
    47.3 MB
  • IMG_0181.mov
    33.8 MB
  • IMG_0181.mov
    39.6 MB
get a couple of empty blacked out jars, and place them in the tank for now so he/she can used them, although there is back end floating he/she is still able to fight it and is using the skull ornament as a means to stay down.
use 0.2g/l magnesium sulphate, this should have a mild laxative effect which should help shift the air bubble that is trapped.

get a couple of empty blacked out jars, and place them in the tank for now so he/she can used them, although there is back end floating he/she is still able to fight it and is using the skull ornament as a means to stay down.
use 0.2g/l magnesium sulphate, this should have a mild laxative effect which should help shift the air bubble that is trapped.
Should I add magnesium in the jar? If it is 3 liter, I will add 0.6g magnesium. Am I right? And how long he is wait inside? Until he is ready?

My mom put him to iced water, after 3-5 min he/she poop tooo much. I think he/she will okay after that poop 😂. I am very happy to see this.

I didnt transfer his tank yet. But I surely he is okey now..

You are very helpful, thank you very much for all thing my friend.

Attachments

• 59739820-1b0a-4f88-aec7-7aca177ec854.jpeg
    59739820-1b0a-4f88-aec7-7aca177ec854.jpeg
    139.8 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
the magnesium sulphate is added to the tank water (make sure it is dissolved into the water).
the jars are placed in the tank as extra hides/caves, this is so that he/she can used them to stop himself/herself from floating to the surface.
good to hear that there is improvement, be careful about dropping the temperature too fast so as not to shock him/her.

the magnesium sulphate is added to the tank water (make sure it is dissolved into the water).
the jars are placed in the tank as extra hides/caves, this is so that he/she can used them to stop himself/herself from floating to the surface.
good to hear that there is improvement, be careful about dropping the temperature too fast so as not to shock him/her.
His/her tail is still up but Probably 1-2 days later will okey.

Thank you for all mr. He/she is okay now :)

How often feed they? I feed twice a day total 4 pellet. They are about 13cm 5inc.

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    sera: @Clareclare, +2
    Back