Axolotl with open mouth

Im adjusting the water parameters, but I doubt the open mouth has something to do with water hardenes.

axolotls require the minerals that hard water provides, a lack of these minerals can affect them in different ways ranging from bone disorders to blood conditions.

I am still concerned. Ammonia is zero (I bought new liquid tests , as the old ones where giving error results), nitrates and nitrites are zero too. I raised a little bit the pH, now it's 7,5. I will try to raise the GH, but I'm still concerned about the possibility of bacterial infections. I am paying attention to his behaviour, and I think he is a little bit lethargic, he sits in the same spot for hours (he is eating ok by the way). Any idea?

apart from lethargy and open mouth has there been any other symptoms ie.. weight/mass gain, pailness etc..
what is he being fed?
being motionless for hours isn't unusual for axolotls, try to monitor him at night for activity.
if concerned about bacteria add 2g/l non-iodised salt to the tank.

He IS fed with axolotl pellets, and some times with red larvae. No more symptoms , no curled tail, no curled or pale gills... Salt?? No antibiotics?

Attachments

• VID_20240326_145412.mp4
    24.5 MB
  • IMG_20240326_144535.jpg
    IMG_20240326_144535.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 23
Last edited:
salt is quite beneficial health wise as it helps with a wide variety of bacterial and fungal infections without damaging the biological filtration, due to not knowing what is causing the issue a wide spectrum antibiotic would have to be used which would be best prescribed by a vet.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back