Best Pet Frogs (a Zookeeper's Picks)

findi

Herpetologist & Author
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi All,

Many of the world’s nearly 6,000 frog species make wonderful pets that may live for 10, 20 or even 50 years. Among them we find creatures that glide, brood their eggs in vocal sacs, form lifelong pair bonds and exhibit other fascinating behaviors. While the smallest is barely as large as a pea, the nine-pound African Bullfrog can chase lions away from its tadpoles! Today I’d like to introduce some of my favorites, each of which is hardy enough for beginners yet so interesting that herpetologists – myself included – regularly keep them as pets. Please be sure to let me know about your own “best pet frogs” by posting below. Read more here Pet Frogs: the Best Species for Children and First Time Keepers.

Please also check out my posts on Twitter http://bitly.com/JP27Nj and Facebook http://on.fb.me/KckP1m

Thanks, Frank
My Bio, with photos of animals I’ve been lucky enough to work with That Pet Place welcomes Zoologist/Herpetologist Frank Indiviglio to That Reptile Blog | That Reptile Blog

I am so glad you are promoting african clawed frogs they really are a great pet .... if you like fat ugly frogs lol

I am so glad you are promoting african clawed frogs they really are a great pet .... if you like fat ugly frogs lol

Thanks...and a great Durrell quote!

Thanks...and a great Durrell quote!

I wont claim to be a naturalist but my wife certainly doesn't appreciate me or my fat ugly frogs, they intimidate her by staring lol The quote is from "The amateur naturalist" and occurs after a story of him dissecting a stinking rotten turtle on the family porch as a child.

I wont claim to be a naturalist but my wife certainly doesn't appreciate me or my fat ugly frogs, they intimidate her by staring lol The quote is from "The amateur naturalist" and occurs after a story of him dissecting a stinking rotten turtle on the family porch as a child.

"Staring"..very appropriate...my grandmother said the same, and kept feeding them. She also claimed our octopus, whose tank was right near the kitchen, was "watching her chop up his relatives" when she prepared octopus for dinner, She'd cover the tank with a towel...you know Durrell's work, so you can see why he's a hero of mine! He was even indirectly responsible for my landing my first zoo job..story is here.

best regards, frank

I think Bombina orientalis and Hyla cinerea both fit well into the above topic and are pretty to boot. Both are easily sourced but usually wild caught unfortunately.

Regards Neil

I think Bombina orientalis and Hyla cinerea both fit well into the above topic and are pretty to boot. Both are easily sourced but usually wild caught unfortunately.

Regards Neil

Thank you...I should have added Fire-Bellies; some captive bred individuals sometimes available in the US, but majority w/c; captive bred tend to fade in color, which is a factor.

H. cinerea great favs of mine; all are WC here and, as they are inexpensive, not much care is given them in transport; often arrive in poor shape.

No shortage of fascinating frogs in your country!

Best, Frank

Yes we do have an abundance of amazing frogs over here although unfortunately I don't get to see enough of them. I did buy a plant from a local Sunday market and as I was placing the plant in the car I noticed an amazing tree frog sheltering in the foliage. Luckily it didn't jump off in the car and I managed to take some pics when I got home. It did disappear the following night but I saw it again about 4 months later during a torrential thunderstorm.

Graceful Treefrog, Litoria gracilenta

Regards Neil

Attachments

• tf3.jpg
    tf3.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 1,166
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    sera: @Clareclare, +2
    Back