Breeding terrestrial Tarichas

A

aaron

I recently aquired some adult rivularis, torosa, and torosa sierrae. I want to set them up in permanent homes for breeding, but I'd appreciate information from anyone who has bred them before I put the tanks together. Is it better to have a stream or pond(stagnant or flowing)? How large should the water/land areas be? Thanks for your time

~Aaron

Aaron,
If you don't mind me asking,where did you get your T. rivularis?As in from what location?Did you collect them yourself?
About setting up the T. rivularis,I would reccomend setting them up in a shallow fairly stagnant aquatic tank.I have observed them breeding in spring when the creeks start pooling up and the water losses its winter current. I am shure different locations have newts with different behavior though.
-Travis

Where's Uwe when you need him?!? Send him a PM, Aaron...

You probably can keep/breed torosa and sierrae in an aquatic setup (but it may be possible that they need to get used to it first).

However, rivularis is - despite it's name - almost completely terrestrial except for those few days during the breeding period - AFAIK water current isn't essential and it might be best to temporarily transfer them from a terrestrial setup to a shallow semi-aquatic tank after hibernation.

Hi Kai,

I am here, but the forum was not.
I answered Aaron directly.

To my experience, it is possible to keep the torosas aquatic, but I think it is recommended to give them some time terrestrial with watter pool. They tend to leave the water pretty soon after breeding in nature. They go back the water bowl like the firesamalanders do all the year long.
Rivularis is probably the most terrestrial of them.
Summary: Tank with earth from the wood, moss (up to 5 inches/ 15cm), bark and a water bowl with escape possibility.

Uwe

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back