Bufo marmorata

Niels D

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Is anybody familiar with Bufo marmorata. I couldn't find anything on AmphibiaWeg and google gave a couple of useless search reslults. They suppose to come from Suriname. A couple of shops offer them, including:

Google Images

I'm really curious about this mysterious specie.

I'm thinking of a Rhinella specie. Here some pics of our animals:

IMG_2446.jpg

IMG_2447.jpg

Arquivos de Zoologia - Taxonomic revision of Rhinella granulosa species group (Amphibia, Anura, Bufonidae), with a description of a new species

'marmorata' is wrong- as 'Bufo' is masculine, it should be 'marmoratus'.

Bufo marmoratus is apparently a synonym of Bufo marmoreus/ Incilius marmoreus, and also of Hyla marmorata/ Dendropsophus marmoratus...
Amphibian Species of the World
Amphibian Species of the World

One of which is a toad that does not occur in Surinam; the other does occur in Surinam, but is a treefrog.

It does look like a Rhinella.

Thanks for your reply. I've been "investigating" this matter, because I'm really curious what kind of species this is.

I've discovered that the name "B. marmorata" doesn't exsist at all. I've seen diffirent shops offering this so called B. marmorata in The Netherlands, Germany, US and (I believe) Poland. Most shops claim they're from Suriname.

The toads aren't Bufo marmoreus or Hyla marmorata. If it were true that they're really from Suriname then it could be Rhinella (granulosus) humboldti or R.(g) merianae. According to AmphibiaWeb they should be called Bufo humboldti/meriane and I've also seen the names R. humboldti/merianae. In any case they're part of the Rhinella complex.

I haven't found any pictures of B. merianae, but there's a picture of humboldti:

iNaturalist.org · Rhinella humboldti, observed by cesarlba on July 22, 2010

and some information about the Rhinella complex

http://www.revistasusp.sibi.usp.br/scielo.php?pid=S0066-78702009000100001&script=sci_arttext

Too bad I haven't found more pictures. I've send a request for help to AmphibiaWeb.

I've got a mail of a Brazilian scientist Patricia Narvaes, who wrote the article about the Rhinella granulosus complex. She is trying to identify the frog with help of the pictures I've sent. I'm very gratefull of course and I hope she can give an answer.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • gemmie:
    Hello I've been looking into axolotls and wasn't sure if it was even legal to get a pet one in Australia
    +1
    Unlike
    gemmie: Hello I've been looking into axolotls and wasn't sure if it was even legal to get a pet one in... +1
    Back